1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with wings on a V?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MSS Mow, Jan 31, 2010.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Looking for opinions on plowing gravel lots/driveways with wings on a Boss V Plow. Any problems to consider??

Thanks

2. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have wings on my 9.2, I plow a road thats prolly a 1/4 mile long, mostly gravel/reclaim. It does a really good job. Wings work to keep the road nice and wide. I was concerned too at first being gravel but they work great. I have no complaints.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have been meaning to post a thread like this. My specific question is how does windrowing in a parking area with angled wings on the trailing edge work?

I don't think my English teachers would like that sentence :angry: :laughing:

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

By the time you have the blade angled all the way to the side, the trailing wing is pretty much straight, parallel to the front bumper of your truck. Front wing is more forward and doing less. Windrows just fine and still has that little bit of extra reach...

On a driveway or even a really small lot, I wouldn't bother unless they were already mounted from another job nearby. On the 9'-2" plow driving in traffic with the wings on is an accident or ticket waiting to happen. Middle of the night, not so bad, I just move tight to the shoulder when traffic comes towards me. Definately overwidth though, and not worth getting out and installing them just for a driveway.

5. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Wings on a v-blade work incredibly well, although not much advantage over a straight blade with wings in a wide open parking lot. The ability to Grab snow and control it is however a huge advantage

6. Will Hughes

Will Hughes Junior Member

I have wings on my 9.2 VXT and they work great! I dont usually bother to take them off at all I do a few driveways with them and my commercial lots. The only thing that may be tricky is driving in traffic. If driving through town or tight spots you may have a hard time. But it is a V plow so you can manover it in tight areas. Like I said I always keep mine on even when dring through town if you do so I would recomend dring with your light bar on and be prepared for the idiot that think they can fly right past you. I do not regret getting the wings one bit it's a huge time saver!

7. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

why not just angle the blade to the side ?

8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Because now you've got a huge blind spot and your actually the same width when you're in V.

9. Will Hughes

Will Hughes Junior Member

That and you would not be able to see the head light or turn signal if you angled it all the way to the side.

10. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a Boss 9'-2" vee I have had it for 7 years I had a local welding shop roll a 1/8" piece of steel 10" wide and weld it onto each side.With a little reinforcment on the top and bottom... We kept the bottom off the ground about 4 " and I bolted a thick piece of rubber to the bottom it works great !

11. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a Boss 9'-2" vee I have had it for 7 years I had a local welding shop roll a 1/8" piece of steel 10" wide and weld it onto each side.With a little reinforcment on the top and bottom... We kept the bottom off the ground about 4 " and I bolted a thick piece of rubber to the bottom it works great ! Oh ya it He only charged $80 for matrials and labor !!!:nod:

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Pictures?????

13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

That would be interesting to see.

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks all for your opinions!

15. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

well I have a 8'6" western pro plow and its not real close to blocking the lights so why not put wings on it ?????