1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with track machines

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NW Snow Removal, Nov 19, 2010.

1. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

I had a little problem a few years ago with one of these because I thought it packed the snow in some cases and may have had us need more salt. We always prefer 4wd skids because they drive faster. We are paying him by the job so time really isn't a factor and the guy we have for the job is confident the track machine will be fine. Any thoughts?
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

A good operator can use a tracked with little problems IMO. Like you stated, it is easier to get on top of the snow and cause hard pack though due to the low ground pressure. I prefer a tired machine any day, but I do know of people successfully using tracked machines in their operation.
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

it all depends on what type of tracked machine you will be using.

a ctl- non suspended undercarriage with staggered block treads tend to not do well unless they have polar tracks installed.

an mtl- suspended undercarriages with multibar tracks do very well. 2 companies: Cat & ASV make mtl machines. any cat machine where the last digit is a 7 is an mtl (9's are ctl) look up youtube videos of asv's in the snow. i have an asv and it does great.
  4. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We are having a cat 257 delivered this morning. We needed another skid for the winter and needed a track machine for summer so this was the coice. Not the best but does well in the snow.
    Also good for pushing back piles and getting snow back off lots because of its ability to float ontop of piles. We do a fair amount of extra work with this.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i would think it would be a problem, if you end up using more salt becasaue his machine packs the snow, then make a different pay arrangement. just make sure to tell him to have some 2x12 with him , and park the machine on those if hes leaving it on site, the tracks can freee to the ground
  6. NW Snow Removal

do you know which one a bobcat 864 is?
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

ctl ................
  8. NW Snow Removal

crap. GRRRRRRR