1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With Tow/haul On/off

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by millsaps118, Dec 12, 2006.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

My fellow Chevy brothers/sisters (or anyone that has the TOW/HAUL feature)...was curious to know if you ever use the TOW/HAUL button to push snow? In theory it makes since, but I never tried it.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Ford; I plow without the tow/haul mode activated. ;)
  3. jryden145

jryden145 Member

Plow in low range and it doesnt really matter.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Depends on how fast you're pushing snow. Tow/haul just raises the shift points at any given throttle angle. If you're pushing snow at light throttle input and high enough speed to upshift the auto then tow/haul would proabbyl help increase the lifespan of your tranny...I'm inclined to think though that the load the extra mass of the snow puts in front of the truck would keep your right foot fairly deep into the throttle and you are proabbyl not upshifting too soon.

Nothing wrong with it, but I'm not sure there is any benefit either.
  5. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Benifit, I think YES

The Benefit would be in the life of your tranny. It stands to reason if they want you to use it for pulling a load, don't you think it's a good Idea for PUSHING a load ! My Son and I talked about this very subject a week or so ago and we decided to use the tow feature
  6. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Makes sense to me. If it cuts down on the number of shifts, it must surely be better for the tranny. Or am I wrong?

7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I use it sometimes while plowing. But I defintely use in between properties while driving. I have plow hanging off the front and noramlly a skid of salt in the back. That is where I think it is beneficial.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use the tow/haul when your actually pushin' snow.It will help the tranny. Moving down the road even with the plow and maybe a spreader in the bed it's not really necessary to use it unless your very heavy and traveling in hilly terrain. It's a good idea to use it when you pushin' snow in a parking lot because the T/H not only raises the shift point's up in the rpm range but much more importantly it also raises the line pressure of the trans.More pressure will allow it to keep the clutch's clamped better so they wont be as likely to slip under a hard load. If it will add life to your tranny why wouldn't you use it?
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I dont use it
  10. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I never use it. I just watch the trans. temp gauge.:waving:
  11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You guys who don't use it might want to reconsider. Tow/Haul is key. I have it on 100% of the time during any given storm.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

in my 06 i have drive and manual so i just put in manual and shift it to whatever gear i want mostly 2nd.
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our owners manual said to plow with the tow/haul activated. (06F250SD) I know you really dont get going that fast but ours seems to have more power when it stays in the lower gear.:eek:
  14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Depends on the situation I guess. I only do my own driveway so I never get out of first gear anyway, so tow/haul would have zero benefit to me. If you're in a situation where you are pushing snow and you get going fast enough to upshift and then lug the motor then tow/haul is clearly the winning choice and will most definitely help increase the longevity of your powertrain.

From my perspective there is a huge difference between pulling a heavy load on a trailer or in the bed and pushing snow, and that difference is in the speed at which you do it. I can pull a trailer up a ling hill at 40-50mph, tow/haul should defintinely be used to help ease up on the pressure the tranny has to take by keeping it in 3rd gear for a longer time, but I certainly don't push snow at 40mph...again though, I'm just a schmoe doing his own driveway in a 3/4 pickup.

Convincing argument right there. I was unaware it also increased the pressure in the tranny, thought it just remapped the computer's shift points to hold lower gears longer. Learn somthing new every day.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Our trucks are always in T\H, I even ride around town in my 350 with it. I like the response much better.

We also almost exclusively plow in 1st gear, but I would still recommend using T\H if you're not using 1st gear for the above reasons.
  16. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

Everyone know the trans shifts different in tow/haul. But what it also does is raise the line pressures in the transmission. Basically keeping the trans cooler. I keep mine in tow/haul but only plow roads. By dragging out the shift more with the tow/haul the truck doesnt constantly shift as I go down the road.
  17. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Exactly! Many do not realize it, but there are several benefits to using T/H mode when plowing. It is an absolute must for me.
  18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

My truck goes from Reverse to First, Every-Time, even when i'm just driving around, then I'll put it up to 3rd. I've just always used first for plowing because my buddy that has been doin this for 26 years said that it will save your tranny all those extra shifts into 2nd when you let off the gas and then into 1st once you slow down, then into reverse (2 unnessary shifts every push). Just wondering if it will do anything by having the Tow Haul on and have it in 1st or will it not make a differance?
  19. Dent82

Dent82 Member

You should always use it. Especially with a disel, v-plow combo. If I have my plow on I have T/H on.
  20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Quote by Meyham: Convincing argument right there. I was unaware it also increased the pressure in the tranny, thought it just remapped the computer's shift points to hold lower gears longer. Learn somthing new every day.[/QUOTE]

Meyham, Glad to see you picked up on that, as few do. Like I said originally the T/H raises the shift points but raising the line pressure is the MAIN benefit when plowing snow.If more guy's realized that, I think they'd use it more. If you pay $30,000 or more for a truck with all the newest technology why would'nt you use that technology to prolong the life of that $30,000 truck?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006