1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with the Storm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Birdog, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Birdog

Birdog Junior Member

Hello, I am new to plowing and have a question about plowing with the storm. Starting this evening the forecast here in southeastern NY is for heavy snow periods and maybe blizzard conditions at times. Then on Sun. morning another period of substantial snow fall. I have 24 residentials to plow, all long driveways, and was wondering how you guys plan a starting time. Looks like I will be making 2 visits per house or do I wait and see how the storm is progressing and wait until it ends? Thanks.
    Matt

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Well after reading your info if you are plowing with the jeep and a 6.5 meyers and your doing long runs,I would hit them every 4 inches.I think you may have some trouble with that light jeep and a short blade height pushing 12-18 inches and maybe 2 or 3ft snow drifts if it going to be that windy.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I try to get out there at about 4 or 5 inches then repeat every 5 inches or so but when its blizzard conditions @ 3 inches an hour its really hard to near impossible to keep up.Just gotta keep going and take your time , nobody is going anywhere in those conditions.

4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

First how do you have your pricing set up with your customer? If it is per push then I would be making phone calls to the customers and lettting them know that this will be a mulitple push storm. If you have is set up by accumlation with a trigger of say 2 inches. Then I would go out at your trigger and then hit them like was said at every4 or 5 inches.

JP

5. Birdog

Birdog Junior Member

Thanks all for the fast replies. My pricing is set up per push. The guy who had the route before I took over had it the same. Should I still call all of the customers? Now that I think of it, I do not have everyones phone number. I did already receive a call from a customer who said she is having a party on Sun. and wants me to get to her house before noon if possible. Looks like I`ll be there WELL before noon according to the advice given! Thanks again all.
    Matt

6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

It might not hurt to call them. Just remind them that because of the large amount of snow they are predicting you will be out mutiple times. That way it will keep them from calling you saying where are you? They know that you will be there and will not stress out. Especially if you have elderly customers. They worry all the time and this will be one less worry for them. Just my .02. I am not sure if you are in the direct path of the storm but that one customer might reconsider her party.

JP

7. mrfreeze

mrfreeze Junior Member

Important

One should also consider if going out in a Blizzard for $30.00 is worth it! I used to wait for the State or County to go by first before heading out in bad storms. This usually turned out to be the 4 to 5" mark anyway. Emergency vehicles also have an easier time getting down driveways if the level is maintained at 4 to 5".