1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with the Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2moresleeps, Oct 7, 2008.

1. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have very limited options and I have used the search button and came up with a few interesting answers. I have the option to get a 2008 ram 1500 BUT>........ I need the western tornado in the bed.

My question.........can I beef the suspension and hold one tonne of salt, the western mvp plus and not get into trouble with the MTO?

Anyone know?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

no, too much axle weight.. the ram 1500 cant hold that much weight regaurdless of how you beef up the suspention... also know the dodge mega cab has problem with plows...
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Death to that truck. The 1500 never really holds up to plowing the tranny over heats and will rust away fast. Dodge uses cheap metal and the salt will eat it away.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

go with a 3/4 ton and be done with it
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ya had me until the last sentence.
    Your not suppose to shoot the fluid film up your nose...:dizzy:
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

im not saying GV is right on this.... but seems to me i see lots of rust on my rams , even newer ones, than same year chevys and fords
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My old boss plowed with a 1500 2001 the whole bottom of the truck was rotted out after 3 yrs of plowing and not even used for salting

As a side note I had a 2002 and 2005 Dodge Dakota and both pans rotted out before the lease was up. and these were just daily drivers
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ROFLMAO, gasp... let me catch my breath... Maybe for blocking the road when it comes to a stop :jester:
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

hugh.. my 74 is a bit rusty true but the 98 is hardly showing any rust. The only place is on the door bottoms. Maybe it's just the 1500's?
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your asking a lot of a truck that Dodge does not recommend even installing a snow plow on. The 1500's are not trucks anymore, they're cars with a bed.

Kiss the warranty good bye. ;)
  11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

No probs with my current or past Dodge's. Absolutely not too what you want to do with that 1500 though!:eek:
  12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I am in the same place as you wanting to save cash on the truck and utilize the "V" plow.....no chance anyone can expect a 1500 to do the work for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I would NOT go with that setup.
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

weight a min

you want a full sized spreader and a vee? i didnt read it carfully apparently i missed that

you nuts...NO way possible if you want it to drvive down the road more than 1 mile
  14. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i would not recommend that setup at tall. the suspension as well as the truck is going to take a beaten. the truck is going ot get destroyed. get a 3.4 ton at min. dodge the dodge and get a chevy. you will be much happier.
  15. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I didn't even get to read all these but a ton of salt! and a plow? I really don't think the truck will still be standing but give it a run and let us see (on a closed track-lets be safe now:redbounce)
  16. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I spent an hour talking to my neighbour who works for Dodge. He admitted they are not a truck dealership but get them the odd time. His reference was they are the same as the 2500's just a wimpy suspension.

Either way, I just left Shanahan Ford in Newmarket and with the so so sexy $10,000 off the sticker price and the excellent deep down additional discount, I may be the proud owner of a '08 F350

From one extreme to the other. I absolutely hated the Silverado 2500 for plowing. Found the front end didnt hold up well and even had to cut off the bottom metal off my plow mount :dizzy:

If approved weight will no longer be an issue in this beast. Its like having 3 testies!
  17. elite1msmith

from chicago

ummm.... yeah , your neihbor, must be a dumb A$$ im sure a few parts are the same... my axles are way bigger dana 60 and 70 , the frame is bigger if i remember looking at a friends.... sure go ahead tell me they are the same

congrats on the new 350 :nod:
  18. FaulknerLwnCare

FaulknerLwnCare Member

i plow with a 1500 and it works great with a snow ex hitcch mount salter . You do not want to put that spreader in your bed it will calapse. I put a pallet of rock salt in mine once it was 2400 lbs and man i thought my axel was gonna bust or bend.
  19. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

2500=Dana 60 Front
    Nowhere near the same.
    The rear axle in the 1500 is a Chrysler 9.25 the rear of the 2500 is a Dana 60. Frame strength is also nowhere near the same. The only thing that they share is the body.
  20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I agree, even it had a solid front axle they use a weak transfer case.
    They have smaller cooling systems.
    Are they even offering the plow group on them?

I've tried to tell them this but they don't want to hear it.
    Haven't you read all the posts where no one with a 1500 was never had a problem.
    I know all the guys that run 2500 & 3500 or bigger are having problems all the time.
    I guess we should be using 1500's to plow with.

Then there is the camp that will tell you to "take it easy"
    and you will be fine.
    This is snowplowing there is nothing easy about it.
    you need to work your truck to make $$$
    It is hard on any truck but why not get one that will be there when your company grows.

I guess they look like a good choice because you can get one right now, cheap?