1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With The Jeep Rubicon

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnnyrusso, Jan 30, 2005.

1. johnnyrusso

johnnyrusso Junior Member
    from Boston

fellas i bought a 2004 jeep rubicon and im picking it up on wednesday. Im gonna put my western plow on it and hopefully get a storm or two out of it. Now heres my question to all you pros. They didnt have a single utomatic in mass so i bought a standard. I owned a 97 jeep and am used to the stick in but i was wondering if you guys think its a bad idea to plow wit a rubicon thats standard

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Im sure that this statement wont make me any friends but here goes, I think that the Western on a jeep looks terrible. That Uni-mount looks to me like it is 4 feet from the grill, this system looks to strained. I know that there is space between the frames on the new pull away systems compared to the conventional mounts(i prefer). I would take a look at fisher, or curtis(i have a 7') because I feel that they look a lot better because they look more flush against the truck. I mean it its an opinion I have, and personal preference.Here is a picture of what I mean with the Western.
    $.02

Jason

jeep.jpg

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Been There, Done That for 4 years with a Bronco II
    One bit of advice I can give you about manual transmission plowing is:
    Do not slip the clutch against the load! Dump the clutch if you are up against a load. If you don't,burning up a late model clutch will be expensive!
    Best way is to backup with the plow slightly raised,shift into first and move forward then drop the plow before it gets to the pile. try not to spin the tires when you reach the end of the push, it tends to kill front axle shafts.
    you have a direct connection to the drive train no torque converter to take some of the stress.
    I got this advice from an old timer of over 40 years of plowing.

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Jeep sticks

I plow with Jeep sticks. The key to long clutch life is to use the lower gears, or low range in the transfer case, and do not slip the clutch. Pick your gear and go, if you are going too fast, or slipping go to a lower gear. Or use your low range in your transfer case.

6. johnnyrusso

from Boston

i have the 7 foot 2 inch LX...do u think it will look that far away on my rubicon...also should i get timbrins??

7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

In my humble opinion, if you don't have to drive far between jobs get a 6 1/2 foot STANDARD duty Western while you still have the chance. Narrow and high so it can get in tight spots in deep snows. Heavy enough to scrape good too. And sturdy enough to last.

If I had a Rubi I'd get somebody to take the Unimount frame and rebuild it into something that can be taken off at the end of the season (I'm gonna have this done for a Toyota Taco...). Too bad Western doesn't make an ultramount for the Jeep. Curtis poly looks like a good plow too but the moldboard seems a little low.

Good luck - With those lockers and some real snow tires you'll never get stuck. I'd love to see that with chains on in a good snow!!! :)

8. johnnyrusso

from Boston

explain to me how the lockers work?? Do you have to hit the button twice for it to engage. Would you use that only if you got stuck??

9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Lockers

Lockers basically guarentee both wheels on the axle get the same amount of power no matter what, slippage, anything. I advise against using them unless you got a ton of snow and don't have to do alot of turning as lockers on driy pavement equals damage. I advise to only lock it in if you get stuck. Unlocked 4wd should suffice for regular plowing.

10. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Your owners manual should go over the locker usage in detail. Switch the rear on and toggle the front. Rubicon lockers only work in low range. I wouldnt use the lockers at all, unless you are stuck. When the locker is engaged it locks the axle shafts together solid (no differential action). Not only will that take a toll on your front axle parts if you engage the front, but it will kill your turning radius. Even when the rear locker is off, it is setup to work like a limited slip so you shouldnt have any traction issues.
    The Rubicon has a 4.1 low range and 4.10 axles. If you plow in low, youll probably end up in 3rd gear most of the time but thats probably the way to go.
    BTW, Im jealous.

11. johnnyrusso

from Boston

come on why r u jelous.? every says this thing is so good but it doesnt seem like it

12. martyman

martyman Senior Member

[​IMG]

this is my Auto Rubicon...two years plowing so far with it.

I did start with a 4 cylinder 5 speed jeep and it was fun for doing light plowing but the clutch would get really hot when you pushed heavy stuff and that is not what you want when you have customers waiting and your clutch burns up...I personally wouldn't plow with a clutch Rubicon.

13. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Just wanted to add that you never use LOCKERS for plowing!!! I broke my front drives side axle (not plowing) trying to get of a big hump of ice. If your front wheel starts hopping then your on the way to breakage.

14. Currinson

Currinson Junior Member

I am looking at a rubicon unlimmited to plow with any ideas, I want this because I can also tow it behind my rv.

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Gotta watch lockers when you lose forward progress they tend to skate the rear end sideways if it's real slick. My Dad's F-350 would do it even with weight in the bed. He did not have the front locked though, just the rear Detroit locker.