1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with the 6.7

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by EXR, Jul 25, 2010.

1. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Just wondering what your experiences are with the newer engine.

I know the dpf is a problem and imagine it would be a big problem with plowing.
    My dmax needs a good hwy run after plowing to burn soot off..

Any engine lights, rough idle etc etc..?

thanks

2. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Nobody??

seriously..

This engine has been out since what 06-07 and no one has a reply..hmm.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Can you explain how you know that?

I cant see it going into regen mode every event...

How you do know when it needs a highway run?

4. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Was told that by a service advisor at bennett's.

The new dmax will start to bung up with a lot of city driving...

I can tell that my truck is not running 100% after 10+ hrs of plowing and low speed driving. I was told to run it on the hwy for 20mins...heard the same for dodge..cept the gm doesn't throw cel codes and engine surges..

5. Triple L

from Canada

I think its pretty much a load of crap... Your not making any black smoke while your plowing... You have to lay into it really really really hard to make a duramax smoke with a stock tune... So if its not smoking the DPF isnt getting clogged is it? Pluse everytime you park and do some shovelling you can hear it start a somewhat kinda regen so it cleans itsself out there for whatever you built up...

My truck goes into regen about once a week... and thats all city driving towing and stoping at about 50 properties...

The worst is when it goes into regen at the beginning of the day... I end up leaving it running for a property or two or else it will be in high idle all day...

I do agree, its wierd nobody with a 6.7 commented

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  6. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

No issues with it going into regen mode all the time. it has to set for a long while before mine goes into it. The problems I have had is it gets very poor mileage and has no nuts pulling a 15k trailer up a hill, compared to my old 5.9, Around 8MPG plowing. It's got plenty of low in torque to plow with though. I have known a lot of guys having turbo issues, Where dodge went an replaced them after trying a few stupid remedy procedures that dodge tells them they have to do before they can even change the turbo out. Then when they do that they put the old 5.9 design turbo in the 6.7. (WTF) Plus if you get a dodge that doesn’t have a warranty on it I would go with putting all new beefier Ball joints, and U joints in it. Because if you get a 4 door CTD a n hang a large Vplow of it “YOU WILL” shell them out after one season!

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a 6.7 that I use for back up as I just put a plow on it last year. I used it a couple times just to test everything out. The only thing that I found different in the 6.7 compared to my 03 5.9 is that reverse is much much slower, with and without the exhaust brake on.

I found the truck held the weight well of a wideout on the front and a tornado with a yard in the back.

I don't go thru many regen cycles but I also use the exhaust brake a fair bit even though I dont work the truck that much. Mine just drives around town and hits the hiway about once a week and its completly stock no tuner.

8. EXR

EXR Senior Member

8mpg plowing...ouch

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I don't know to much about plowing with the 6.7 but I know when our 6.4 plow truck was stock it SUCKED. It is a 30 min drive to our lots and on the way home from a event it would be in re-gen the whole way. I don't keep track of mpg's while plowing but gallons per hour. This truck was using like 3.5-4 gallons per hour. Now that it is tuned and the dpf is off it uses less than 2 gallons per hour and runs GREAT.
    Robert

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA LMAO!!!!!!!! You obviously know nothing about the new diesel exhaust systems. The reason he is not "making any black smoke" is because the DPF is trapping it!!!!!!!!!!!! DUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH

11. Triple L

from Canada

Are you on F'in Crack Bud!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOO $ hit!!!

But I also own a 04 LLY duramax, and like i said, on a stock tune, it sure dont smoke hardly anything at all... even the lb7's hardly smoke on stock tuning... when put right to the floor!!! Your defentailly not blowing a cloud of black smoke on every single pass you do plowing snow.... DUH!!!

Hows a DPF get clogged plowing snow if the truck dont blow any soot? Do you put it right to the floor on every single pass you make?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Just because you don't see huge black clouds it does not mean that the DPF is not collecting anything.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh boy.....

14. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Back to the topic: I added a 09 Dodge 3500 with 6.7 and love it (1 ton dump set up on 60" C/A)...
    Not that I don't love to idle the truck so it stays warm when I get back in, but anything over about 1 minute and I shut the truck off. Pulls great, Jake brake helps when stopping, and drive nice.. Considering I own both DMax & Cummins trucks the differences are minimal as far as quality of brands for newer models. Lots of guys swear by Ford, I couldn't trade out my last Ford fast enough.. Some guys hate Dodge, I've had very few problems and have owned many 2500 & 3500 models.. As for GM trucks, I must admit they are by far the most solid truck and comfortable to drive. To sum it up, I'd by any (US) brand truck as they are all nice. As of now it simply comes down to dealer service & then price.

15. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Ya, I don't let mine idle long either...gone are the days you could idle a diesel for long periods.

16. Triple L

from Canada

so in the winter you guys turn your trucks off?

WOW, we never turn our off, like in general, it starts when we plow, and dosent turn off till its fueled up and back at the shop...

Why does it seem like, the people who are worried or concerned with thier fuel economy always get the worst.... Kinda like a girl who's always worried about getting fat...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  17. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We get a 6.7 next week as well, winter truck only with plow and salter.

18. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

5500 Ram 2.jpg

19. Triple L

from Canada

did you buy a new 5500 there stefan?

20. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

2008, with very low mileage on it :)