1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with stock Michelins on super duty ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fords&Fishers, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Fords&Fishers

Fords&Fishers Junior Member

Anyone have a new super duty with the stock 18 inch Michelins that they plow with ? I'm looking at a leftover 2012. They dont look like they would be that great in the snow.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Junk tires.
  3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Quite possibly a tie with the OEM Conticraps they used to put on them. If you really want to plow, save the OEM tires for summer use and put some real snow tires on her for the winter.
  4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I'll second buying some real snow tires. You can pick up Ford rims on Craigslist for not too much money if you are patient, then just swap everything over.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Those stock tires are good for plowing your way out of the dealership and that's it - absolute junk even in the rain. I put 55,000 miles on mine though. BFG for us.
  6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I bought a new 350 just before Christmas and have 2000 miles on it, mostly plowing/snow related. They have been ok but we also hang a boss v off the front and a Western tornado with about 1.5 ton of salt in the back. Hoping to burn those tires off by fall so we can get some dedicated. Tires for it next season. Then we will get another set of rims and tires for summer use.
  7. Fords&Fishers

Have new goodyear duratrecs on the truck i want to trade in. They are great in the snow . i would keep them but they are only 16 inch.
  8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Not really relevant here, but my F250 came with BFG rugged trail AT tires...I was told "Those are junk" by several know it alls. They are actually quite good. Couple places I plow are sheer ice at the moment, and these tires still push snow..and before anyone asks, the clients are too cheap to spring for dirt, and too lazy to go get their own.

Where are you thinking of buying the '12?
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't have a problem with mine.
  10. Fords&Fishers

Hate to have to spend $1000 or more for tires for a brand new truck . I'm scraping for every dollar as it is to try to get the truck. Maybe I should keep the Duratracs,put some old tires I have on the truck to trade it in and sell the Duratracs to try to get the money for some in 18 inch.
  11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

My truck was new last September tires were great for the snow we did get last year. This season even with 2.5 yards of salt in the hopper you still need 4wd to push any serious snow. Still peel out at traffic lights too. Dedicated snow for next season.
  12. Fords&Fishers

First time plowing with the new truck today. Tires seemed ok so extra weight in the bed would have helped though.
  13. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

My michelins fell off my truck and they were total crap in rain and snow. Went and got bfg all terrains like the rest of my trucks and it is night and day difference. i have been running bfgs for 17 years now and they never stop impressing me.
  14. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have had 4 sets of the Michelins and have loved them all.