1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with small truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 84fordman, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 84fordman

84fordman Junior Member
    from maine

I was just wondering if it was practical or worth plowing with a ford ranger or chevy s-10. They are so much cheaper than buying a real truck. Could these little trucks hold up year after year or would they fall apart. Any suggestions or thoughts i would like to here. Thanks

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Lots of the smaller trucks out there...I would not recommend plowing commercially with one unless you were just clearing out your own small bizz, but for driveways and such as long as you don't try to push too much they work very well...and are alot easier to maneuver in tight places...as far as "holding up" everything needs maintenance and equipment that gets abused needs it more often...take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.
  3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

I'll second Mowbizz on that
  4. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Now this being the "non commercial" forum, I would say a small truck would be fine for personal use. Is that the question however?
  5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

A small truck is fine for a few driveways and such. Try and do some real commercial work with it and you'll beat it into the ground in no time. Make sure to get one of those light residential style plows like a Homesteader or something similar. Once you put a plow and ballast on your truck, you don't want to be over the GVWR. I just read about a guy who hit and killed a pedestrian during a snowstorm. The state police weighed the plowtruck and found that it was overweight. They are bringing criminal charges against the driver and part of their case is that the driver/owner was grossly negligent by intentionally overloading the truck. Therefore, pay attention to the plow weight and get your truck weighed to make sure it is under the GVWR shown on your door.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A number of the guys on the site use smaller trucks commercially, do a search under ranger or S-10. Jeeps are very popular. We find them particularly good for drives, small lots and clean up. They're more manuverable in tight spaces.
  7. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

I use an '88 Ranger with a 6.5 foot Fisher for my driveways. Most are 2-3 cars wide, 2-3 cars long. A couple have a circle to plow around. That said, the Ranger is very good for the snow up to about 6 inches, so you really have to stay on top of the snowfall, and once it gets heavy and wet, (like last week's Boston storm) I switch over to an F350. Also, the weight of the plow doesn't allow for a real good back-blading.
    The Ranger ends up costing about half as much in gas, over the course of a storm, and is a bit more comfortable to drive than the 350.
    Hope this helps a bit,
    Chris in Boston
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Several years back I put together a 88 Nissan Hardbody V6 auto with a 6.5' Meyer. The truck was great for resi's and for cleanup & sidewalks at my comm accounts. Like all have said already, as long as you keep up with the storm and realize that it's not a heavy duty truck, you'll do just fine.
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i had a 93 dodge dakota with a 5.2 and a 6.5 meyers plow it was great i did com pkg lots never had a problem
  10. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have plowed residential and commercial with a ranger and a s-15 gmc. One with a Meyers and the other with a Fisher and they both did great as long as you don't push them to hard. I would put on a extra heavy trans cooler on them if you plan on doing a lot of commercial plowing.
  11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I push commercial with my 05 nissan frontier with a 7.5 snoway 22 series. I would put it up against any half to 3/4 ton.

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we have a 97' reg cab long bed s10 (4.3L) with a 6 foot meyers plow on it. its great on the comercial lots where we cant fit with 8 foot plows also works great on tight driveways. we usually have to put 4 5gallon pails of dirt in the back for traction though. i know a lot of people who use small trucks like that for plowing. they are better on gas too. i think ours gets like 14-15 mpg with the plow and dirt in back.

so if you are looking to do a driveway or 2 its great.
  13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I run a '94 Toyota w/ a 6' Meyer. Works good as a cleanup and sidewalk/walkway truck. Small trucks are productive if you use them in conjunction w/ larger trucks/equipment or for small areas where bigger trucks are not practical. For on site work in smaller areas can't beat a utility tractor though.
  14. lawn&snowguy

lawn&snowguy Junior Member

My '05 dodge dakota with H.O. V-8 has a 7.6 western poly, it's great for lots with lots of islands. It has know problem with 8" of snow. Keeps up with my bigger trucks!!
  15. neffy85

neffy85 Junior Member

I just landed 5 gas stations/ convenience stores and need to get a plow fast. I have a 4wd s-10 that I would like to use, but also a 3500 2wd dually flatbed that I could use too. Which would be better?
    Thanks in advance.
  16. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well neither are really the perfect plow truck. What motor is in teh s10? is its like a 4 cylinder I'd say to no to that. But, if you can load up the flat bed on your other truck with PLENTY of weight, you might be ok. Just dont go driving it through any crazy deep snow and plow with the storm. Isn't it kinda late to be signing accounts if you dont even have a plow truck yet lol?
  17. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Go with the S10 without question. Gas stations need to be plowed often and quickly. Small size = nimble productivity.

Don't let the "big guys" fool you. We ran a toyota plowing almost 50 drives last winter without a single problem. They are very capable trucks Obviously you're not going to be able to stack and push back mountain piles like the heavier trucks. With a little planning its a non-issue.

This year we're running 2 older toyota's and the 05 F350 is basically backup and doing one or two commercial lots.
  18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I read more here about guys running Jeeps with great success.
  19. neffy85

neffy85 Junior Member

Thanks guys. Since I have posted, we have found a very nice 2000 2500 4wd and I have ordered a plow and spreader. I am still going to consider fitting the S10 with a plow for a backup / smaller applications. Thanks again.
  20. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I say that backup plan is great -- having it ready just in case you need it. It's exactly my logic behind installing the plow on my Tahoe... not for a "second" truck on the road, but more for the Snot happens factor with equipment. Well, that and I can keep my truck at a lot I service & use the Tahoe for my driveway when everything is done!