1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with skid steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Sep 7, 2003.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Who has experience plowing with one? I'm worried about traction.
    Also, what's better a blade or pusher for one?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Traction will not be a problem unless your pusher or blade is too big,or your taking too much snow.

Pushers are much more efficient on a bobcat.

3. snow white

snow white Member

bobcat

i use bobcats they are decent slow for getting around,best with blowers of angle blades , for sidewalks anyway....i use s185 turbo,s,the new toolcat is the answer...........

4. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I have a Komatsu 815. I don't know if you have heard of them but it's 1500 lbs cap. i belive. What size pusher or blade would be good for this size machine?

5. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

We use a mustang 2105. We had some traction problems with it. We were just using the "loader" attachment that came with it. This year we were told to add chains to the tires, one on both side.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Another option would be the Blizzard 810SS, you'd have the function of both an angle plow and a pusher in one unit. JD Plower uses on on a Bobcat, we'll have to wait 'til he checks in....

How do you like the Komatsu? I saw one at a show last year, the interior looked pretty crude compared to many other machines. Does it work well for you?

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I saw one at a dealer close to me I thought that they are a little pricey and there is only 2 models to choose from.They look like a good machine to run.

8. pcs

pcs Senior Member

The controls are the best thing on that machine. Very easy to use.

The only thing i would like to see in it would be a 12 v plug.

9. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we have a bobcat 873 with a pusher and power angle plow. we used both last year, the pusher was great in the blizzard. the plow came in handy for a small lot at a comm. site where i had trouble manuevering a crew cab with plow and sander. it also helped push back banks on the site road and entrys to parking lots as you could evenly lift and angle the blade, or straddle the road and curb and angle the blade to get the snow off the road. i think it is a 10' pusher and the blade was a 9'. we also have a hi/low flow which is good for varying conditions.

10. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Pcs whats been posted already is pretty much it. Don't overload it with an over sized plow or pusher and your machine will be fine. I have the Blizzard 810 and recommend it highly to anyone considering something other than a pusher. The only downside is my machine isn't very fast (6.5mph top speed) and a plow won't stack anywhere near as well as a pusher box. Transporting for us is a major issue, the blizzard was the only option that offered 10' on the job and 8' on the trailer. Your machine should handle the blizzard without too much trouble.

11. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

I love plowing with a skidsteer!!:D Of course i have the enclosed cab with heat, radio, cd and weather band for long nights plowing. As far as traction goes, mine is just a tired loader. It works fine, sometimes you have to move the control more left or right to keep it going in a straight line if its icy under the snow. I use my big pusher in open areas and my smaller pusher and bucket in tight, enclosed areas. I think on apartment complexes, some driveways, and raised parking garage decks (which i plow) there is nothing better than skid loader. I have the two-speed option on mine which lets it go pretty fast. If the snow is icy and slick, just pretend your skating with it!! LOL :D