1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with shoes on? or off?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fulltiltwill, Oct 3, 2005.

1. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I always thought the shoes were to elevate the blade just a little for when you plow on gravel. But lately I have been hearing set them to your blade hieght and use them all the time. Just want to know what other guys are doing.
    Thanks for the info.

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

3. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Off... It may cut the life of a cutting edge but its the best way to get a nice clean scrape.

All_Clear

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I usually wear boots, otherwise my feet get cold.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I leave them on and all the way up so they are there if I decide to use them. Most of the time I do not use them but there are occasions where I will plow dirt or gravel and its nice to have them right there.

6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of Plow?

Hello,If you take your shoes off a commercial Frink snow plow and catch an edge you stand a very good chance of twisting the blade and totaling it.The shoes on a frink act as a hinge of sorts they are needed for the plow to kick up for proper tripping.

7. fulltiltwill

Sorry, should have clarified, I just got an 810 and put their poly cutting edge on. So I don't know if when running a poly edge you need the extra support of the shoes?

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Our 8611 has been just fine without shoes and the urethane edge. That's 90% of what the urethane edge is for.

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ive been plowing for about 5 years now and never used shoes but when i got my new plow on my truck the guy told me to keep the shoes on and the blade a little bit above the shoes.....i looked at him like he was speaking Chinese

10. fulltiltwill

Thanks for all the help guys! I know I have never used them, just wanted to make sure I wasn't being an idiot

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I stand by what I said in the other thread. Shoes on.

Use them as the 'sacrificial annode' of the plow system.... cheap and easy to replace. Also easier on the customers property. The sun has more than enough power to melt the 3/8" I leave behind, and if someone wants it quicker, they pay for a salting service.

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Never used them, I always thought they were just for gravel drives/roads..

13. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I keep them off. Even on the gravel lot I plowed last year. If it was cold enough to snow, most of the time the gravel was frozen to the ground anyway. I found that by keeping them on all they did was dig into the ground and dig up more gravel. I then found it everywhere, under my bumper, on my skid plates! On badly banged up drives same applies. If a shoe catches a pot hole or something it will trip the blade from one side where if they were off the blade would glide over the hole.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Same here :nod:
    I only use them on gravel roads/drives before the ground freezes, other wise I never use them.
    I just leave them on the plow, adjust them so there almost all of the way up. Then when they start to scrape it's time for a new cutting edge. :D
    The only plows that need to use any kind of skid or shoe is are the plows on the D.O.T trucks (dump) there mounted differently than the plows on 1/2 to 1 tons.