1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wilburn Parks, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought a cat 252 skid steer last spring and I'm going to get a pusher for it. My question is how do you use it properly. Do you float it as your plowing or put a little down pressure on it? I would think that if you put to much pressure down it would lift front wheels which I don't think would be good. When you get to end of row do you just start lifting pusher up to dump it? If someone has a 252 cat could they tell me what size pusher they think is the best for this size skid steer? Thanks for all the replies.

2. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Ok, guys. I see no one has jumped on answering Wilburn Parks question, so, since I have a Cat 262 AND 2 Protech pushers, I'll answer this one. First off, my names Jon, nice to meet you. I have a Cat 262 74 hp (80 gross) two-speed skidsteer. Enclosed cab and all the goodies (You'll want that if you're really serious about plowing in the freezing cold) I am prob the biggest CAT fan you'll talk to. SOOOO... If I'm long winded on this, forgive me, I just love this stuff... The 252 Cat is the same HPwise as a 236 (56 HP 59 gross) except that the 252 has the high-lift support bar and (I'm assuming) auto-level switch, and a slightly wider wheel base. The same with the 246 (248 it the high-flow, like Pelican has) the 246 is the same HP as the 262 but has the wider wheel base and high lift bar on the back. I use Cat skidsteers all the time. The 252 lacks a little on the power side, I think. It can be hard to use both bucket controls and drive at the same time without having it slow one or the other. I used one last week, and, it just didn't have the juice to do two things at once. That said, I would recommend the 8' or 10' pusher. The 10' may be over-kill. You would have to make narrower passes in order not to overload the machine. As far as pushing the snow, on the Cat when you push bucket down, it goes into auto-float, I usually don't use that when plowing. I just use it like I was grading a property...keep light but firm down-pressure on the control. Now, there were times that on a long run I would lock it in float, and then make sure the tilt was just right. That's the tricky part, in the cab, it is hard to see whether, or not the unit (pusher) is making full ground contact, espescially the side skids or runners. Look at a pic of a Pusher and you'll see what I mean. As far as stacking, just use the thing like a normal bucket. Plowing with a pusher is a good thing. I love it and so do my customers. Any more questions just e me. Hope this has been helpfull!:drinkup: Jon

3. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

CAT IS THE KING OF THE SKIDSTEER WORLD!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks Jon, sounds like you use it pretty much like I thought. I never have used one so I just thought I would ask. Thanks again