1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with one arm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FordFisherman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Going under the knife in about 2 weeks to reattach a ruptured bicep tendon. Looks like I'll be plowing/steering/shifting with one hand. Anyone go thru this? Do you think its even feasible? Any insight appreciated.
  2. Kuliwobby

Kuliwobby Junior Member
    from NE Iowa

Is it your right or left arm? Do you have an auto or manual? What side is your controller mounted on? If it all lines up that everything is on the same side as your good arm I don't see why you couldn't. I think it will slow you down but that's it. If your that busy maybe hire an extra guy or sub it out.
  3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I think its feasible, but your plow times are going to be much longer since you are going to have to do only one thing at a time. It doesn't sound like much fun to me. If you have a hand held controller, you should be able to steer and control the plow if its not real big. GOOD LUCK and I hope all goes well during your surgery
  4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I think you'll be fine. I knew a one-legged guy who entered a butt kicking contest. It took a lot out of him, though.
  5. FordFisherman

from 06611

Right arm, automatic. Picked up a Fishstik to see if that'll help. Probably going to have to steer with a knee here and there. Can't wait....
  6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It should be very do-able, especially if it's not your better arm...otherwise it may be a bit frustrating for a while. I've had to do it.

Consider slinging that arm now & do a dry run, while not under the gun...starting from crawling out of bed, making coffee, getting your things to leave, getting in the truck, etc.

It's the little things like zipping up, taking a shower, etc.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Suicide knob, and put a hanger for the FishStik real close to the knob. Maybe on the door.
  9. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

So why cant you use the fisher joy stick, re mount it so you can and operate it with your left knee or foot
  11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I shattered my right wrist years ago when I used to bounce. Back then I had an underhood pump with the old school cable joystick on the left. I got a suicide steering knob and did it no problem.
  12. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Can you not put the fish stick on your lap with it in your bad arm/ hand to run the plow and then steer and shift with ur good one?
  13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

What he said.
    I was going to suggest foot control...
    ...but this actually sounds good. Wherever your bad arm will be, will your fingers be available?
  14. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

One of my friends had that same surgery this summer. The first challenge is wiping your hind end!
  15. FordFisherman

from 06611

Yeah not looking forward to re-learning the basics. Gonna try to operate the plow with the stik in the bad hand, have the suicide knob already but the awkward part is reaching thru the wheel with my left hand to shift.
  16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The pain management is probably going to be your worst hurdle.
  17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Column-shifting left-handed isn't that bad, I've done it before.
  18. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be fine. I had the same repair last year. Especially with the hand held. I was back at work, writing a week after the surgery. It's a pretty easy deal. You'll see.
  19. FordFisherman

from 06611

Ha my 96 doesn't shift that easy, may have to run the 04 but the 9' bed and no power windows can be a pia.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

2 shoulder surgeries, left & right in 2 1/2 years, little tricky but one arm plowing can be done.