1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with older trucks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmerkev, Jan 28, 2010.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I recently bought another truck, Its a 73 chevy shortbox flatbed on a 81 frame. I bought it as a project mud truck and its sittin on 3" of body lift and 3" of suspension lift and 35's. I still plan on using it as my play truck in the summer months, but its in good condition and Im kinda debating finding an older western for it. Im working with a company right now so im not really sure what my plans are for doin my own thing yet, but being an older truck, and the way that it is (body is in great shape) but lifed and all that, I was wondering what you guys think of it maybe detering people from taking you serious from a business standpoint, and maybe having a harder time finding business.

2. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I think as long as it isn't in disrepair it should be acceptable. I mean people might look at the fact that it looks like monster truck plowing snow because of the lift a little odd.

I have a question how do you plan on mounting plow? That extra 3 inches seems like it might put the plow frame awfully high and cause and odd angle when the plow is lowered. Are you going to drop the frame down an extra three inches to make up for the lift?

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If it is a "project" truck then I wouldn't put a plow on it and try to get much business. Lower it down, make it reliable and then plow with it.

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Ive seen trucks on here that sit higher, and if worst came to worst, I can use a welder so I figure that 3" can be maade doable somehow with a little work done to a mount.

And Along the lines of a project truck hydro, This truck was bought with the intent of being used a few times at some offroad runs through the summer, and maybe use during big snow falls in the winter since I dont like my 2wd in the snow all the time. But i figure if I can make a few bucks with the truck to pay for the fun I have with it, it would work out nice.

My buddy plows with his trail truck and makes a few bucks then he pulls the mount off in the spring and has fun with it.

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Keep it a "project" truck. If you do put a blade on it you don't have to worry about the lift. I had a 90 Blazer with a 3" suspension and 3" body with 38" tires and it was just fine for plowing. Well except the tires were for mud and not snow, so traction wasn't the greatest! Good Luck with your new toy!

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

It will stay my project truck either way, and I plan on doin some good wheelin with it in the summer months, but I still just think that if I can also use the truck to make some money back it would be pretty cool.

7. hydro_37

from iowa

Have you thought about how much money insurance will cost you?
    How much your gonna spend on a plow and mount?
    A slapped together truck and plow and doing work for people you will want a back-up for when you breakdown.

8. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Ours is lifted 3 inches and its just fine

9. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

The '89 k1500 in my avatar has a 4-6" Rancho suspension lift. I didn't want to hang a plow on my newer truck. I mounted the frame bracket. Then had a local machine shop fabricate the bracket down to get to the specifications of Hiniker for around $240. It plows great. The extra height is nice for when I get off backing up and go into the windrow.

The only thing I don't like is this used to be my play truck & it was fun to bust through drifted roads with. I can't do that as well now with the plow bracket hanging down. 4 bolts and it can come off for the offseason.

Anything is possible with fabrication. It would be hard to reverse my suspension back to stock because bump stops were cut off as was a front differential bracket.

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thats why Im considering if anybody thinks an older, lifted truck will deter customers before I put any money into anything.

Right now the truck runs, but needs some work. The plan is over the summer to get the truck in about as good of shape as it can be in so I can DD it during snow instead of my 2wd. So I do want to get it in darn good shape, then someday when I get a better truck, this truck could see more lift, and bigger tires, but for now....

11. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I'm not saying it will be problem, but I once saw a truck for sale in some want ad that had a big lift and it had a plow and the angle the plow was at was well odd. I couldn't see how effective it could be. I just saying hey before you go and wield up mounts and stuff do some testing and make sure your truck is not too high and doesn't put the plow at an odd angle.

12. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Your right. You can probably can get by with a few inches of lift and not do anything. But much beyond & things start becoming effected. Such ease of mounting/dismounting plow. Also, the plow becomes more nose downard when in plowing position on a lifted truck with no modifcations to compensate. Making a conventional blade trip easier.

13. hydro_37

from iowa

Have you checked on insurance yet or do you even plan to?

14. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Id definately be goin legit with insurance and everything, but like I keep saying, before I do anything, I want to know if Im wasting my time with this older truck, but I guess it really doesnt look that bad, and it wont be an issue. Im not driving it at all right now and have no insurance on it. I need to talk to my agent here about that and Ill ask some questions about the plowing thing.

15. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I think as long as the truck doesn't look like a rust bucket, have a body of many colored used parts on it, sound like it is the local CSX train coming into town, and leave any parts, fluids or debris in its path I think the age the truck will not be be a big deal. I mean sure new trucks might make you look better than you are but I think if your service is dependable and the job is well done you'll be okay.

Good LUCK with your endeavor.

16. stotts1

stotts1 Member

the looks of your truck do not :nono: matter as much as the quality of your work. my truck is BEAT, 3 different reds on the cab different bed, and a utility topper, i still have people stop me and ask for estimates/prices!

17. duane1982

duane1982 Member

Yeah they probably do stop and want an estimate. No one cares about looks in WEST VIRGINIA! :gunsfiring::gunsfiring::D: