1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with new HD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BWhite, Dec 24, 2002.

1. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Anybody with a 2003 2500/3500- SRW plowing experience yet? What do you think ?

2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

HD Dodge

I have a buddy who has a 2003 1500 Dodge with a Boss 9' 2" vee on the front and a 16' expandable rear plow.

He said it plows great.

Had to turn up the torsion a little bit.

Hope this helps
    :drinkup:

3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Dodge Truck

I failed to mention that the truck in question is a short box 2003 Dodge 1500 series.

Sorry for the mistake.:eek:

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

:eek: WOW That's alot of weight on that truck. Especially for a 1/2 ton

5. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

The first time I saw that truck I did a serious double take. That looks a little scary with the aluminum A arms and the 4wd Dodge independent front suspension is new and unproven. O well I think I would wait a few years to see how it holds up. Real nice that you can turn up the torsion bars instead of swapping one ton springs on the front axle.

"WOW That's alot of weight on that truck. Especially for a 1/2 ton"
    No kidding I think the one ton dodge HD is rated for a 750 lb plow or something like that and that V blade is somewhere around 900 and the back blade is probably in the 7-800 range. then again that is very common in Grand Rapids and apparently not so everywhere else.

I have only ridden in a new HD with out plows but the first gear is lower than on the previous trucks so in low range the 1-2 shift is rougher than usual but the rest are comparable to other Dodges=good. The truck has like 300 ft/lbs of torque at 1000 rpm so it might have some wheelspin issues when plowing. The Hemi is awesome powerwise. Any 6600 lb truck that can spin a donut on dry pavement when you are going 15 mph is awesome.

6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

300 lb-ft at 1000rpms? That's not the torque curve I saw in a brochure. At 1000rpms the graph line didn't even begin! 365lb-ft was at 4200rpm.

Also wondering if the guy voided his new vehicle warranty since Dodge doesn't offer a plow prep pkg. on 1500 model trucks? The 2500 factory plow prep pkg. maintains the factory warranty.

7. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

been plowing with my 3500 for about 2.5 months now...

this truck is awesome. it rides like a cadillac, and plows like a tank. i have beat the crap out of this truck, and have had some problems, but it has never let me down through the toughest of storms. if u want hd with style - dodge cummins all the way baby.

oren.

phone mount n plow 006.jpg

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

A 9'2" Vee on a 1500 Dodge?? That poor truck. Why didnt your friend just buy a heavier truck if he wanted to use such a big plow? Me personally, I'd never put anything bigger than a 7.5' on a 1500, but what do I know? :D Mike

9. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

up here in toronto...

any reputable dealer wouldnt allow you to put that kind of a blade on a 1/2 ton. the gas consumption must be horrendous..

i think the blade weighs more than the truck!

10. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Roger - I thought I read that at the allpar site but now I can't find it so I won't stand behind it. Where did you see a torque curve for the Hemi - online or at a dealership? I've been trying to find one for a while.
    "the guy" has a 1/2 ton cause you can get a 1/2 ton in the regular cab short box configuration for more manuverability. Come on the blade is less than a thousand pounds and everyone knows the truck weighs far more than that. He probably installed it himself - it also has a 16 foot backblade that he built.

11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Contrary to popular belief cranking up the torsion bars does not increase capacity it mearly raises the ride hieght.By cranking the bars you are only rotating the bars down and the front comes up.The only way to increase spring rate is to swap in high rate bars.

12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I don't understand?

Rotating moves the bars down? What I thought your where doing was increasing the torsion bar preload. They don't move... they just rotate correct?

Howard

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your correct Howard.They don't move down,they just rotate.I think it was just the way he described it.

14. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Its kinda hard to explain but when you crank the torsion bars its only rotating the bar down which causes the lower control arm to drop down giving lift to the front of the truck.You use up some of the downward travell when this is done,It does not twist the bar any tighter.Springs of any kind Leaf ,coil, or Torsion bar are not adjustable.The cranking of the bars is mearly reindexing the rear mounting point of the bar.

15. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

dillyohboy

It was in a dealer brochure, however accurate/inaccurate the graph was it showed the torque coming on rather late. However I have been informed in another forum that the hemi is producing 300lb.ft at 1200rpm maxing out to 375lb.ft. @ around 4000-4200rpm with about 40 more horses over the V10 to sustain it at those rpms. I hardly want to believe it's that flat over that broad rpm range! And I hardly believe it's producing more torque at 1200rpm then the V10 and diesels! But that's my belief and I have been wrong in the past. If the hemi torque is as claimed then the V10 will suffer a production demise soon, as it's extra weight somewhat offsets the extra 75lb-ft it produces and the decreased fuel economy.

16. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Thanks Roger There's nothing like second guessing yourself. Supposidly there is a 6.1 HEMI coming sometime in 04. The V10s advantage is 450 ft/lb at 2500 rpm which is a lot more than the HEMI makes at that point but if you need that much torque you should get a diesel. Anyway the HEMI is a big step up from the 5.2 and 5.9

David

17. lwnmwr1

lwnmwr1 Junior Member

i just got a '03 with the hemi. it makes my '01 w/ the 360 seem like an old lady. no offense ladies. so far a great truck. balls to spare.

18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Anymore pics of the new Dodges with snowplows on? Id love to see them. Havent seen any really here driving around with plows on yet. Post them if ya got anymore! Mike

19. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

I will have a couple pic's of my new 2500 Cummins soon. I have just got to finish up the roll of film.

I know some of you have seen these pic's before but for those who have not heres a pic of my first 2500 which was traded for the new one.

blue dodge snow picture 006.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2003
  20. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Heres another.

blue dodge snow picture.jpg