1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with my powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by brandon.edwards, Dec 10, 2013.

1. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

So I've plowed with my 6 liter for about 2 years now, and I've always had to lower the plow as Much as I can to drive it without overheating due to airflow. Any of u guys with 6.0 diesels have this problem? What do I need? A bigger fan? Intercooler? Thanks powerstrokers
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't heard of many 6.0 guys overheating. The few that have though all say the fix was going with the heavier duty fan clutch. Now if the truck has plow prep, the bigger clutch is already there, so that wouldn't be the issue.
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

You need to read up on these motor, overheating is really bad. Check your eot ect delta, a powerstroke site will help you more with this. Mine or the other 6.0 ive plowed with have never overheated and ive driven on the highway for 2 hrs etc
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Upgraded fan clutch. As was said is already installed on plow prep trks
  5. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

Gotcha. I've never let it overheat, as I know over heating a 6.0 could mean death to the truck, I've just noticed temps a little higher than normal.
  6. your fan isn't running on high(clutch). you should hear it kick on. They do have aftermarket fans for the 6.0 that are supposed to be better for plowing.
  7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

For sure. When the fan clutch on the 6.0 engages, you'll think a 747 is landing under your hood!
  8. iowaplower2003

iowaplower2003 Junior Member

I had the same problem with my 05 6.0 after trying about 4 of the aftermarket heavy duty fan clutches ( only bought one they kept replacing it under warranty) I broke down and went back to the dealer and shelled out like 450 bucks on the ford plow/pulling fan clutch. I haven't had a problem since, I even have a grill cover on my truck and I leave it on when i'm plowing runs at the same temps as when i'm not plowing. the other guys are right if your truck gets hot and it doesn't sound like a 747 taking off under your hood the clutch is bad.
  9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I would try one of the clutches that they recommend, Probably the ford plow prep one, because I have the plow prep and I have never had it overheat on me while plowing, even with the plow all the way up.
  10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Have you tried driving with your plow angled instead of straight / lowered. Although some folks think it directs air away from the radiator, it actually creates a low pressure zone that allows air to flow to the radiator better than leaving it straight.

We have several 6.0's in our fleet (all with Plow Prep Packages) and have never had a problem with overheating. We always travel with our plows (Fisher 8.5' & 9') angled.
  11. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Turn your plow and your temps should drop. If that doesn't help, go buy the fan clutch. Those 6 blows were never good for plowing without the plow prep package. My 7.3 doesn't have the plow prep and doesn't over heat with my plow straight or angled. A buddy of mine has a 6.0 and had nothing but problems before he bought the clutch