1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with my personal truck for a contractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajracing81, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

I have been helping a guy out lately and when we get backed up or a truck breaks down he asks me to jump in my own truck to help plow. he's charging $50 an hour and paying me $35 an hour for me running my truck! is this worth it? any input would be nice. thanks

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

No, not worth it for me.

3. SnowGuy73

He needs to be charging $70 and pay you $50.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't start my truck for that.

5. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

I'm thinking the same . I should get the $50 because that's what he would get for me in his truck

6. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

65 an hour using my own truck.

7. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

I've only had to do it twice in two years but I have been helping him more this year then last year so I will have to talk with him. thanks for the input

8. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

he is way lowballing you. Add your expenses up and see if it would even come out even! NOT

9. SnowGuy73

Right on.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

in my opinion I would expect to get as much if not more using my personal vehicle as I would working with a work truck.

in my neck of the woods that's $60-$70 per hour. I wouldn't take less.

11. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 Senior Member

Agreed $60/hr range is where it should be. Plowing is expensive. What happens if something breaks? What about insurance costs? What about fuel costs?

$35/hr might sound ok at first glance, but when you add up all the things you have to pay for, the answer is a NO.

12. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

absolutely not....There is no way the guy you work for only charges $50/hr and if so he's an idiot.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That would barely Cover fuel for me. He needs to be charing 100 an hour and giving you 60-80

14. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

$70/hr for just truck here… $100/hr if it has a sander in it. so if his truck breaks down, its his problem and he needs to be paying you a fair price. If your not carrying the insurance and he'll coverage any breakage on your truck, then $50/hour may not be too bad, but $35 is wayyyy too low

15. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

Yep and get that all in writing

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Wow !

$35 an hour ? The oriental ladies at the local "tug and rub" charge more than that. Even the Pros have their standards....:eek:

17. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

As long as the happy ending is part of it its all good .

18. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

That's not worth it. Over the years I've gotten any where from $50-80 an hour as a subcontractor.

19. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

75$ min. For 35$ an hour you can come plow mine and I will just do the paper work. Ok just kidding, then I would go find more. You are not that far from me and is the going plow rate only $50an hour up there?

20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

As Hilary Clinton said: What does it matter.