1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with MTD YardMachines Tractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ironfist, Nov 17, 2003.

1. ironfist

ironfist Junior Member
    from ohio

I have recently purchased a home that has a gravel driveway about 80 Yards Long. I have a 20HP MTD tractor, I notice that you can buy a 42" Plow as an attachment. The driveway is not protcected so this winter, I am in Northeast Ohio, I am worried about drifting above and beyond the snowfall.

My question is has anyone used an MTD with a Plow? How does it work in moving Snow? Obviously a Truck and Plow would work better, a snowblower probably would as well. I can get the plow for about 1/3 of a snow blower.

Any words of wisdom?

2. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

Buy the snowblower. You can't stack snow with a lawn tractor.
    I have a Wheel Horse tractor with a single stage snowblower works great.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

blowers the way to go except with a gravel driveway

the stones will be shooting out like bullet

plus the rocks are hard on equipment

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i guess you can lift it up a 1/4 of the way or plow and rake the gravel back in the spring i hope you have weights and chains i would of bought a wheelhorse but you never know fill the tire up with calcium :nod:
  5. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Plow with the storm and you should be ok. Dot't let too much snow accumulate. I would probably plow every 3 or 4 inches.

Be sure to dress warm:waving:
    Mark K