1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With Lifted Ford Superduty

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylawn03, Mar 28, 2005.

1. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Okay...so I've got this F-250 and quite frankly it doesn't sit high enough to fit my tastes. So, what I would like to do is put a 4" suspension lift on the truck. BTW it is a V-10 Crewcab with 285/70R/16 tires if it matters. Now my plowmount sits pretty high already(13-14"); my question is, will I still be able to plow with a newer Boss Plow (RT 3)? The only thing I'm worried about is the Boss lift ram not being long enough to plow steep approachs and loading docks. I jacked up the truck 4 inches with my plow on and it seemed like it would be fine, but I would like some professional opinions please. Thanks guys...

Ben :waving:
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I think that you would have to lower the truck side mounting bracket. The A-frame needs to be parallel with the ground for the cutting edge to work properly. I believe in the instructions, it lists what the distance from the ground to the mount needs to be. It would probably be best to keep the number as close as possible to the the suggested number.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Search the forums for lifted plowing threads- it has all been covered hundreds of times before.
    The short answer is no, it's not a good idea to lift the truck if you want to plow with it because you will be changing the angle the plow frame works from where it is designed to work to where it may NOT work at all.

Search for more details...
  4. fordman89

fordman89 Junior Member

i know a guy that has a 250 supercab lifted with a blizzard plow on it it seems to work just fine.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The mount will have to be lowered at least as much as the truck's lifted.
    4" lift 4" drop in the mount,If you look at the truck with the plow on it now the A- frame should be parallel to the ground. A good welder / fabricator should be able to brace it and drop the mount down. Get someone that knows what he is doing,not someone that "kinda knows how to weld"
    A lower / longer mount makes for more leverage on the mount which could cause breaks or cracks that's why it should have more bracing.
  6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I know with my blizzard the push beam needs to be about 12.5" above ground on level ground no more no less. so if I put a lift on I would need to drop the mount so that it is correct hight again.
  7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Don't lower the mount, it will be the weak link. Raise the ears or tabs on the A frame, much stronger.
  8. danno

danno Senior Member

Another way is to get a body lift. Performance Accessories sells a 3" lift. No mods to the suspension needed,
  9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

If you put a bodylift on I'll kill ya:p haha Just kiddin. I think there corny and don't give you any more clearance. I'd only put a suspension lift on.
  10. danno

danno Senior Member

If your looking to raise the vehicle and put bigger tires on, a body lift will accomplish that. A lot of "pros" who have big suspension lifts, also have a body lift. As long as your not "hitting the Mohave", they work fine. And also, with the Dodges, there are no "gaps" between the frame and body.
    Don`t forget, the main reason here is not to throw off the angle of the a- frame for the plow. A body lift will not do that, only a suspension lift will.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Um, actually modifying the plow mounting parts reguardless of if it's the plow end or the truck end weakens the system, period. Adding a 6 inch perpendicular lever in the mount that the plow is going to be puching against is a bad idea any way you slice it. I know lots of oeople have done it and many have not had any trouble....yet. but hundreds of people went over Niagra Falls in Barrels and other contraptions years ago too, does that seem like such a good idea? Both concepts are fundamentally flawed.

If you absolutly can't live without a lift (My 96' diesel has plenty of lift, many people think I have lifted it ad it's stock.) do a Body lift or buy another truck to plow with. By the way bigger tires for plowing (above 235/85) are not necessarily the best idea either AND Dodges already have lift blocks in the rear from the factory.
  12. danno

danno Senior Member

What I do is, I have a 3" body lift. I have my 235/85/16s on steel rims for winter, and I have 305/70/16s (33s) on nice wheels for summer. ;)
  13. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I'm thinkin' that I'm just gonna throw add-a-leafs on all the way around. That should give me a good 2 inches of lift, plus increase the front and rear spring capacity while still allowing me to plow. I'm also keeping the 285 tires.
  14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like I said if the truck is lifted the mount has to be lowered and braced!
    It can be done you just have to do it right to avoid breakage and plow dysfunction! Some mounts you just need to drop down a bolt hole on the mount!