1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With Lift?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by iski3d, Jan 2, 2002.

1. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

Is anyone plowing with a lifted truck? Would it work? I am thinking ford f350 w/ 4" or 6" lift.
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It will work but it will place MUCH more stress on the springs and on the axles. Assuming you are going to lift your truck 4" to 6" you will also be installing larger tires. Going from a 31" tire to a 33" or even 35" tire will require regearing the diff's. That will then create more stress on the axles.

Lifting the truck will also mean you will then lower the plow mount on the truck to retain the proper blade attack angles. Lowering the brackets kind of defeats the purpose of lifting a vehicle.

I have seen a few trucks lifted and big tires installed pushing snow. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going higher than 2".
  3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

My father has plowed since 1979 with a lifted '79 Blazer and a 8' Meyer. The truck has 9" suspension lift, 3" body lift, and 44" tires. The truck uses stock gears (3:73) and the stock 400 small block and 400 tranny. (Although it was cooler with the 454 LS6.) The plow A frame has been modified to attach to the stock plow frame mount. Power angle hoses were lengthened 18". The truck uses the stock headlights (@50" tall) and no plow lights. Plows great with the full time 4X4. It never has been in low range... and never been stuck....

The downfall to a lifted plow truck is judging distance... but if its your daily driver that makes it easier.

Remember that a body lift doesn't effect your plow frame height, but the bigger tires you can run will.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i have a 97 f-350, bone stock running 35" bfg's all terrains and no problems. no lift but larger tires. the only problem i had was the angle of the plow at full angle, if this makes sense. when the truck/plow frame is higher the force is greater on the forward most part of the snowplow cutting edge giving it the "smiley face" wear pattern. in other words you will have to replace your cutting
    edge every 2 years instead of every 3 or 4. to fix it i welded an extra set of push blocks on top of the existing ones in effect lowering the a-frame. i may not have exlplained this all that well but email me if you have any questions.
  5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

My truck is lifted 3" over stock. I have had zero problems with 2 seasons on it. It just takes getting used to watching the edge markers because you can't see the plow

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

That was a great era for the Blazers. I wish I had one in good shape. I didn't mean to imply that it couldn't be done. I just believe it is much harder on the truck if it is lifted. ESPECIALLY with what your father did to it. That is a lot of lift!
  7. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

Yah guys thanks for the replies. Right now i have my f350 with 33" bfg muds on it and a 9' fisher and its great. No lift yet, that will be on my next truck when i trade this in. Just starting to plan my next truck.:) c ya
  8. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

I got a 4" body lift,the rubber grommets are working them selves loose from stackin piles, not good.It also VOIDS warranty on new vehicles.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why would you want to put a lift kit on a plow truck? Not trying to be a smart aleck - really curious as to any advantage. Seems it would only cause problems by having the truck (and center of gravity and plow angle) higher than it was designed to be. If you lower the plow frame to keep the attack angle, you're losing any gain in ground clearance.
  10. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Some of us only have one truck to play with.... So in the summer I might do something stupid and forget about it untill I go to strap the blade on......