1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with Jeep

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94jeep, Aug 18, 2001.

1. 94jeep

94jeep Junior Member

Loking to mount a plow on a 94 jeep yj 4 cyl 5 speed any one know wich plow is better or if is even ok to put a plow on a 4cyl. The jeep has only 13,000 miles grarage kept but looking to get better return on the jeep. I would be doing mostly driveways. Are there any do and don't about this topic

94 jeep
  2. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I know 2 people personally who use there wranglers for plowing. Both are six cylinder and automatic transmission. Both also use a 6 1/2 ft western plow. They love it... handles great, gets into small areas. Granted i dont think this would be the ideal set up for commercial... but for small residentials its great! Not sure if that 4 cylinder has enough kick though.....
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

if thats the vehicle you have, I would use it. Any smaller plow will work fine on the Jeep. But I would possible recommend the snow way unit. Nice and light, and has down pressure, which will come in handy doing residential.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

plowed with a 93 wrangler 6 cyl auto for 6yrs. the thing was awesome. had sportsman western on it (6 1/2 ft) i think. could maneuver into any spot or corner you wanted.
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Plowing with jeeps

I plowed with jeeps for years, 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and the AMC 304 V8. They were great machines, not designed for highway speeds, but perfect for plowing with loads of torque in low range. The key was to use the low range when plowing. They could climb trees in low range. Plus I would chain the front wheels because that was where the weight was, unless it was really bad then I would chain all four wheels with Peerless bar reinforced chains.

But the suspensions were different than jeeps of today. They had real springs, leaf springs, and you could add a leaf or two if the front end was a bit low. None of that soft coil stuff they use today with mushy arm bushings, those old ones were designed to work, not look good with the top off in front of some tennis club on a sunny day...

All of my lift pumps were the super reliable, never break down, no electrical drain, simple to fill with 10w oil, Monarch Hy-Lo hydraulic belt driven pump units. They went up, down, left and right with never a complaint.

PS. I pulled more than my share of Broncos and Blazers buried out of snow banks with those little 4 cylinder L-head engines. They never complained, just knuckled down and walked them right out of the pile.:D
  6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

That Jeep sounds like it would work well for residential - it's nice & small & able to manouver easily.

Agreed Dino on the SnoWay being a good choice for the plow, the downpressure feature will be very useful especially when back blading (which there will probably be plenty of doing driveways)
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The Jeep will work great for small lots\driveways. We've been using one with a 6 cylinder\auto for 6-7 years for sidewalks and tight areas. We have about 500# sidewalk de-icer in the back and it will go through just about anything. We have a 6.5' Western with urethane edge on it.

Being a Jeep person I know first hand how reliable they are. I plowed with a Jeep for about 5 years before stepping up to a full size truck. A 1994 Jeep still has leaf springs in the front and rear. It will easily handle a meyers 6.5 or a Western. If I didn't have so much commercial plowing , I'd still be driving a Jeep!

Triton Snow Removal
    Woodstock , Illinois:cool:
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

What no 9'2" plow on the jeep?