1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with half ton pickup?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Crewcutlawncare, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Crewcutlawncare

Crewcutlawncare Junior Member

Is it worth placing a 6' Western Plow on a 94 Nissan Pickup Truck? This truck is only rated for a half ton. I don't know if I get a transmission cooler, and a snow plow prep package if it is worth it, or save my money and hopefully get a new dump truck in a year or two.

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

What do you want to plow with is?? Your driveway?? Many driveways?? Or Lots??

For your driveway... it might be worth it if you really do not want to use a snow blower or have some one else do it.

For many driveways... a lot of guys run smaller trucks for doing residential driveways... If the truck is an auto add a cooler and maybe something to help out the front end to handle the plow weight. And plow with big storms...

If you want to to lots... get a different truck...

3. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

We have had a Toyota truck with a 6.5' meyer on it for years and love it. Sure it can't push as much or as fast as our super duties but it is great for small lots and residentials. We even added pro wings to the plow and made it 8.5' wide. It only has a four cylinder and automatic trans. Just don't push too much or try to go to fast and it should be fine. The Toyota is a '92 and has been plowing for seven years without any major problems.

4. Crewcutlawncare

Plowing with half ton pickup

I plan on using it for commercial use. I was thinking of placing a salt spreader that swings to the side so that I can get my 2 snowblowers off. I was also thinking about buying a set of timbrens... i think they are some type of shock absorber to help level out the weight. I was going to put them on the front and back of the truck. This is a 6 cylinder engine. The tire sizes if you need them are 23x8.5 or 10.5. I can't remeber off the top of my head right now.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think your going to need a 3/4 ton:nod: When you load up the 1/2 ton with the plow and your gear, snowblowerS your going to weight how much? ho yea and the sand and salt too.. Then your going to tackle some commercial accounts..
    Nothing against your truck , but you need a 3/4 ton:waving: IMO...

6. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I'm doing three commercial accounts with a K1500 and an 8' western w/wings. I keep about 500 lbs back behind the wheel wells for ballast. It does a good job, but I do wish I had a 3/4 ton. Not because the 1/2 ton doesn't do the job well, but I know the truck is going to take a beating much sooner than a 3/4 ton would. Timbrens in the front keep the front end from sagging much and I'm sure that it is slowing some of the wear on the front end. Realistically, some people will keep thier 1/2 tons running longer than some would the 3/4 tons. How the individual drives, maintains, and cares for the vehicle is always a factor.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I think you'd be fine if you had a true full-sized half ton with a 7'6" plow. That compact truck ain't gonna last long esp. with the auto trans. If your gonna do a lot you need a 1500 minmum.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

These is no way that Nissan will hold up to all of the beating it will take plowing lots. In 94 they only had one size pickup if I remember correctly... Do yourself a favor and save some money up for a full sized pickup...

9. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

bigger is better when plowing, last year i plowed with my 90 silverado 1/2 tonne, wasn't too bad at all, had issues pushing bigger stuff on long pushes. This year im plowing with my 02 silverado 3/4 tonne. All I have to say so far is what a machine. Day and night to say the least, if you have bigger plans within the next few years buy it now and it will be there for you as your business grows. Good luck

10. Crewcutlawncare

Plowing with a half ton truck

Yeah... I gues you guy's are right. There is no sense in taking a chance of something going wrong. What would be my best dump truck to get... a 3500 series chassis cab, or a kodiak or something like that. The kodiak is like $60,000.00 and the 3500 chassis cab dump truck is only like $30,000.00 I plan on using this vehicle a lot as far as moving dirt, stone, and everything else. My customers always order a large quantity, so I am thinking of going with the kodiak series.

P.S. Does anyone know how I can make all of that kind of money in one year? Lol. I wish someone could just loan me the money, but since I haven't had a chance to build up my credit, the bank won't let me take a loan out.

11. Crewcutlawncare

Plowing with a half ton pickup

Yeah... I gues you guy's are right. There is no sense in taking a chance of something going wrong. What would be my best dump truck to get... a 3500 series chassis cab, or a kodiak or something like that. The kodiak is like $60,000.00 and the 3500 chassis cab dump truck is only like $30,000.00 I plan on using this vehicle a lot as far as moving dirt, stone, and everything else. My customers always order a large quantity, so I am thinking of going with the kodiak series.

P.S. Does anyone know how I can make all of that kind of money in one year? Lol. I wish someone could just loan me the money, but since I haven't had a chance to build up my credit, the bank won't let me take a loan out.

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

If you can't get a loan for it you should consider having the dirt/stone delivered until you can grow big enough to pay for the truck... I know it sucks having to wait, but there is nothing you really can do...

Yo might also consider getting a used 3/4 or 1-ton pickup and then getting a used dump trailer... not the best option, but definitely a cheaper alternative to buying a $60,000 truck.

I am a firm believer in slow/steadily growing... Think of it this way... A used trailer/truck combo will cost you say $25,000 total...pay this off as soon as possible then start saving for larger/newer stuff... Sure you maintenance bill will be higher with the older truck and equipment, but if you do regular maintenance they will last and give you time to grow...

Remember your only 16...you cannot just start off and be able to have all new equipment....