1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with Exhaust

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Well, Last season my truck was new and Stock.... Well it is different now. It's got dual exhaust and it is loud. Any of you guys have problems with your truck exhaust being a PITA? My Ford SD sounds like my old mustang Cobra. I love it, but the customer might not hahah.

Kevin

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Sound fun. Your customers will definitely know you are coming when they hear this roar coming down the street at 2:15 am. let me know how it works. Thanks for the help yesterday.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Me I like stock exhaust on a plow truck and actually loud low restriction exhaust can cut into your low end torque at part throttle and make truck sound like it is working harder than it really is. I like to here my truck mechanics and plow when working to get a early warning if something is wrong. Also loud exhausts do not play well with 4am res jobs.

4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

good thing my setup is bolted on behind the cat, i think i might just throw my stock setup on for the snow season.

Grass, no problem man anytime

Kevin

5. Tarkus

I would consider it for sure and it would save your new system from salt too!!

6. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

Take them off as the noise does not reflect a very professional image.

Image is Everything.

BTW, what are you going to school for? What's the plan when you finish?

7. Tarkus

Could not agree more...

8. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Hawk, I am in school right now studying Business. I have been accepted to the Business School at my university and have 3 semesters left until i graduate. When i get out i want to own my own Business building custom homes. I have been into construction, architecture and landscaping ever since i learned how to walk, and i have always had a natural talent for building. I won a 2,000 dollar scholarship from my high school for woodworking technology, and have built a decent amount of mid sized home additions in the summers. I have thought about getting into Pharmaceuticals, and Mortgaging like my Father, but the more i thought about it, i just know i want to own my own company and be a success. If i don't, and i go into some career that i really am not interested in, then i'm just going to hate myself for it.

When you combine Love and Talent you can expect a MASTERPIECE. That has always inspired me. So i hope all goes well when i graduate with a business degree, and i actually use it, because i am really busting my ass for it. Plus, i'll have people working for ME, so i will be able to plow in the winters!!

Kevin-

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

5" exhaust with nothing between the turbo and the tip. Fairly quiet at idle and its not bad at a cruise but if you get in it it will let you know. Sets off car alarms in parking decks alot. My bud says I drowned out his bike when we are both on it next to each other. I do comercial and never had a problem. Dont think it is unprofesional in the slightest but it would be very inconsiderate for resi customers at 2am. I dont do resi so I dont worry. Probably good that peoples heads are turning twards me when I'm opening drive lanes durring the day, loud pipes save lives LOL

If its resi though I would have a friend rev your truck in the drive with you inside a couple times. Then think if that sound would piss you off if you were in bed at 3am. If its obnoxious then you have your answer. Remember you are also going to be banging and scraping a large hunk of steel on thier drive too so they may be up regardless ;)

10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

PlowKid

Your exhaust ain't louder than mine. Not one complaint from a customer in 5 years.
    This lady across from a lot I was doing said to me, "Since you woke me up at 2:00 am, you should do my drive for free." I couldn't help it. I cracked up. :D

11. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

Proseasons, 550hp! Wow.

Aaaahhhh, nothing like the smell of petroleum in the moring.

Plowkid, I just PM'd you. How do like that Gixxer750? Been one of the best bikes for 15 years strong. Maybe that is why it is the only 750 superbike in production. Nice.

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Durango.....Shorty Headers to 2½" pipes to a Borla 2into one then from there into a 3" pipe then to a 4½" tip.... you hear her if you put yer foot into it but otherwise it is just a low rumble under 2krpm

it is NOWHERE as bad as the bronco, she had a 400 Ford, long tube headers 3" pipes all the way back, no cat/resinator/mufflers exc just strait threw to 5" tips. I was told I could be heard opening it up getting on the freeway every morning by my neighbor who left 10 min after me..... my house is 1.5 miles from the freeway pumpkin: pumpkin: :eek:

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Plowkid, don't let ANYONE tell you or convince you to change your exhaust. :nono: I had duals with glass packs on my old chevy and never got one complaint. People have to remember that most snow removal is done at night so there is going to be noise anyway. If they don't like it, big deal. :rolleyes: Loud exhaust does NOT reflect on your image. You didn't see Big Nate list any complaints did ya? Here's an old thread for ya.
    thread

14. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Thanks BOSS!!!!! I love the way my truck sounds, it sounds so deep and clean, that i alwyas enjoy the sound. I know at times some exhausts can be annoying... I Mean my Mustang got annoying cause if you had it goin like 65 miles per hr in 5th gear it had this terrible Drone that just killed me. Gave me a good reason to Speed. :cool:

15. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

my truck has a 5" straight pipe from the DP back... but i have 2 f450's that have no mufflers just straight pipes. I like having everything Howl. we do all commercial as well so i've never had problems...

16. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I installed a gibson cat back.Did not produce the super loud sound, but when I put my foot in it, you can tell it is not stock.Also, it does not annoy customers.

17. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

"Loud pipes save lives". Leave it the way it is. No one is going to think you are unprofessional just because your truck is making some noise. I have dual exhaust with burned out glass-packs on mine and it has a nice little rumble to it.

18. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I'm leaving my Exhaust on. I paid to have an exhaust and thats how i am leaving it. MY system is S.S. anyways so rust won't be a real problem with salt. Later on guys...

KEvin

19. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Thinkin about putting exahast on my SD V-10....anyone heard a V-10 with non-stock exhaust...and if so tell me what you think?

20. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

MyLawn I have a gibson exaust on my v10 , i think it pretty much sounds the same just a little louder in my opinion..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.