1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with durango

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motorider000, Mar 23, 2005.

1. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Hey guys. I just had to buy a new trailer and i do not know if i will be able to afford a new truck this year. I am looking to run 2 plow trucks next year (plowing additions). Right now i have a 1992 2500. If i cannot afford a 2nd truck my dad has offered to put a plow on his 2004 durango. The durango has a hemi so i do not think power will be an issue but i am questioning durability and how bad we will have to notch those low bumpers.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

What year Durango is it, I know the old body style durnagos can carry plows but iam not sure about the new ones. The front end seems to sit a little low.

3. SnowyPennsylvan

SnowyPennsylvan Junior Member

He said 2004. :)

While I'm no expert, I'd like to think that it wouldn't be easy or fun mounting it, it would be sad to see such a nice truck ruined by a plow.

4. motorider000

Thats what i told my dad but he insisted on helping n e ways.

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

it is not that hard, I have made 3 Meyer mounts for the o4 durango so far, damn near identical to the mount on my 00

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Instead of tearing apart the new Durango (got one myself, would NEVER put a plow on it), if you can't afford running a second truck, you can't afford a second truck.

It's really that simple.

Wait until you can.

No brainer IMO.

You're not going to be able to put anything bigger than a 7' plow, if that, and you're not going to be able to charge more than $40 - $50 / hour for the thing, so what's the point??

I suppose MAYBE as a backup, but it'd pretty much be worthless.

Not to shoot you down or anything :)

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The money you are going to put into a plow on the Dodge would probably pay for a beater already equipped plow truck. Or a decent truck with a used plow installed.

8. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

I would buy a "beater", before i would put a plow on a new Durango. Plow vs. Plow truck. Good Luck

9. motorider000

The reason why I feel that I need two trucks is that I will be plowing commerical properties and if we have a breakdown or and accident, the don't want excuses they want service.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I under stand where your coming form, your right they don't want excuses they want service But you might be better off buying an old plow truck for 3k to 4k as a back up truck. It doesn't have to be any thing special it just needs to get it done.. just my $.02

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  11. motorider000

Yeah maybe I can do that. Hopefully I will be able to have my new truck in time. It may be hard to find an affordable beater though because (and some disagree) I WILL NOT have any rust on any of my trucks and they (all three trailers and truck) are all lettered to match.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

HUUMMM!!! no rust!! on a back up truck thats running around in the dark covered in road grime.. I guess if money is no problem then go get a new truck and plows all matching colors.
    Your not from around hear are you? Were not in the snow belt, it's the salt belt :jester:

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just hate to see a really nice new SUV get beatup plowing.

Just to fab a mount and add a trans cooler and maybe increased charging system amps is going to set you back a bit of money. And it's a backup at that.
    If you can wrench your own stuff a beater may be in order but if you pay to have repairs done it will Nichol and dime you to death! I put around $500 in parts in mine each year and my labor's free. As far as rusted I see alot of trucks like that,but they do the job and the customers don't seem to mind. Just don't letter it,get a magnetic sign to advertise when you want to.
    But then again a beater can be used to haul stuff that may damage the other trucks paint / body. Gravel,stone, mulch or limbs.

14. Whip

Whip Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but Big Nate is the man I need answers from. Please email me at john@eliterepairs.com about mounting a Meyer plow on a '01 Durango. Thanks in advance.

15. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would not plow with a newer Durango. My friend had an 2003 Dakota (same front as the Durango) and the truck was just terrible. He ended up selling it after the second storm. He only had the 4.7 in it, but still. My dad also has a '03 Dakota and I love that truck. It is a nice fast little truck, but the key word is "little." I would just go with a good 2500 series beater. I think that would make a better backup than a Durango. Maybe your dad would like to buy one of those? ;)

16. Whip

Whip Member

I have a customer who needs it to do his driveway. I can't see spending the money but he does have a Cherokee that he is doing it with now so.......

He's thinking in terms of replacing the Cherokee which I believe he said was an early '90s.

17. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Go to www.snoway.com They list a 26 series plow for 04-06 Durango's. They have a video clip of a late model Durango moving a very impressive amount of snow. I say go for it!!!

18. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Wow, after watching that video, if that is really how ell it works, then I would say for it as well! That looked like a good setup!

19. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Anybody know where I can get a 10' V plow to put on a 89 Ford Topaz? I'm just doing some small jobs.....need mount and electrical to go along with that. I think if I add some springs and some timbrens I'll be ok.

20. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

I used to have a Tempo, I think if you add 6 or 7 leaf springs to the front of it you should be ok.
    Oh, and mount it to the front of your truck, too...

~Matt