1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with Duramax

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kendall, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Kendall

Kendall Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 2001 chevy duramax HD2500. I'm thinking of putting a plow on for next year. Looking at probably a Boss or Western. My question is a v-blade blade going to be to heavy for the diesel or should I use a straight blade with wings??? Anyone out there with a similar setup?

2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

We have a 06 2500hd with a 9'2 mvp plus on it with timberns and it handles it just fine

3. Kendall

Kendall Junior Member
    from Indiana

I've seen the timbrens mentioned before what are they and how do they work. My dealer was talking about turning the torsion bars on my truck 3 turns to stiffen the front end.

4. F350plowing

there just like big rubber cushions that help the suspension adjust to an uneven load

http://www.timbren.com/ses-kits.htm

http://www.timbren.com/ses-snowplow.htm

there cheep and really easy to put in on your own and they work great

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would go a little more then 3 turns. I have about 6 and Timbrens. Go with the Boss V, and go 9'2". I have an 8'2", I should have went bigger. The last 2 storms I didnt have any weight in the bed and it did just fine.

6. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Western doesn't make a 9'2" MVP. Maybe a Boss V? I would just do Timbrens, and leave the T-bars alone. I timbrens on my GMC and it doesn't squat at all with a 8'6" blade on it!

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've had a Boss 9'2 V on my 02 C/C Dmax since the fall of 01 and I don't even have timbrens. The truck has 195k on it and I've spent very little on the truck.

8. F350plowing

yeah i meant 9' 6 the boss we have is a 9'2

9. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I figured! It happens!:D:waving:

10. Kendall

Kendall Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks guys I will definitely look into the timbrens. Now if I can just make up my mind on plows??? My dealer has western and Boss and stocks many parts. So now its a matter of which I prefer.

11. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i have had 4 duramax's 3 with boss 8'2 and 9'2 V-blades, but use the tiberons, will help with front ground clearance going in and out of drives, etc, the problem with cranking the torsion bars is the front end will have to be realinged, and the ride will be stiffer in the non plow driveing

12. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I have a wideout on my 03 2500 duramax and that truck has been fantastic. I also have a set of timbrens in it and unless the plow is on the truck. The truck doesn't even sit on them. I agree with pushn 2 please and as long as the truck sits the way it should now. I would leave the torsion bars alone and put timbrens on it.

13. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

I was thinking about a set of Timbrens for my 01 2500HD. I plowed this past winter without them but was thinking since I plan on ramping it up this winter to get some. Whats a ballpark for how much they will cost?

Also, do any of you notice a substantial difference in ride when there is no front end load?

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  14. F350plowing

there only like $200 for the front ones

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both a Western and Boss V plows. I would buy a Boss before the Western. Having a direct lift over chain lift takes the bounce out of the plow when driving. Also the Boss has the fastest hydraulics I have seen. My Western is a 2008 and the Boss is a 1998. I would buy the 8'2" and put the wings on. You can move a ton of snow in scoop.

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

personal prefrance,but i would buy a boss v, i have seen one preform and its fater then all hell and preforms well!

17. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

What about the ride?

18. Quality SR

I didn't notice any difference in ride with mine. There well worth the money.

19. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

great, I will absolutely pick some up then, thanks.

20. Quality SR

Check out TruckSpring.com. They use to be a dealer here, that's where I got mine from. The install took around two hours. It will be faster if you take the tires off. Good luck.