1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with Dodge 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BigDawg, Nov 25, 2003.

1. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I am looking at buying a Dodge 1500 to plow with. I know its light duty.Its a good deal and I would hate to pass it up. Does anyone have input on if I should or if I shouldn't use this truck for plowing? Also, how much does it cost for the Airbag shut off switch? Thanks

2. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I just recently bought a '95 Dodge 1500 4X4 to plow with. I asked the same questions you did and was told that it's no problem as long as you don't go larger than 7' 6" on the blade, put on a set of Timbrens and add a tranny cooler. Of course, the Timbrens and tranny cooler should be used on most any size pick-up. For more answers on plowing with a 1/2 ton try the first thread in this section on the FAQ, NOT the top of the page but the 1st thread, then click on the link located in the first post. There are a lot of discussions you can look through on plowing with a 1/2 ton.

Hope this helps!!

3. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

I have a 2001 1500 ordered direct from dodge with snowplow prep and heavy duty cooling. I use a Blizzard 760 ld and plow small lots and residentials. The truck does a nice job. I pushed even during the Presidents day storm about 18 inches with not one problem. I would not hesitate to buy this truck even with out the prep package.

4. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

What did you do for the airbag?

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

You don't have to do anything for the airbag on a Dodge (or any other brand for that matter).

Air bags are deployed when given the signal by an inertia sensor. You would have to be traveling at a good clip and have a sudden and major decrease in speed, similar to what would be experienced if you slammed into a cement wall or another vehicle.

Stacking snow, or clipping the occassional rock or curb, while it feels intense when your in the driver's seat, it is nowhere near enough to deploy the air bags.

6. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

One more thing you can put an 8' blade on that dodge it will handle it fine and there is no need to shut the airbags off

7. BIGREDDODGE

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

What year is the Dodge? Old bodystyle or new, the new does not have a solid front axel.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would not a 8ft blade to a 1500 7.5 is just fine :bluebounc

9. mpflood

mpflood Member

until

you dont back up straight in the deep stuff. Get the 8'
    and upgrade yer front springs

10. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I agree with plowman45. I would NOT put anything larger than a 7 1/2' plow on that truck. It may plow just fine but it will be really hard on your front suspension and you'll be making a lot of repairs that may not be worth the extra 6". I suggest going to the "Dodge" discussion board and posting that question to the "experts" on that forum. I have been on that forum many times and they are truly experts. Follow their advice and you won't go wrong.

11. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Asfar as weight goes the difference between the 7.5' and the 8' is usually only around 30 to 50 LBS aslong as the total front end weight is still under the Gross Weight that the axle is rated for taking into account that the plow sitting out where it does adds some leverage to the weight and you have proper ballest weight in the rear end. and a few minor mods to the front end suspension such as heavier duty springs the 8' will do fine on the truck. now this is considering it is an old body style dodge with the solid front axle. and without being on the dodge forums im going from personal experience and also from talking to Other plowers who run 8's on 1/2 tons. aslong as your within your weight ratings your good to go. i can safely say i havent had any repairs more often than someone running a 7.5

12. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I have a 7.5 for the 1500. So from what I gather from the previous post , the truck should be able to handle it. Where do I find the Dodge forum? Thanks for all the help.

13. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Dodge 1500 4x4 + Boss 7.5" SD NOOOoooo problem, just make sure you have the help for the springs & tranny cooler. Also a little ballast helps.

14. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

The easiest way to get to the Dodge forum is to look just below this post where it "Forum Jump". Just drop the bar down and look for "Dodge Discussion".

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

A good friend of mine plows with a 1999 dodge 1500 ext cab. he has a 7.5ft sno-way snowplow on it. he has the steel blade though not the clear one. his truck makes a great plow truck it plowed through last years blizzard just fine. 8ft just seems like it would do more harm then good on a 1/2 ton truck. 1/2 ton's have more limits them 3/4 and 1 ton trucks do.