1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with Crew Cab truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by junk, Dec 3, 2003.

1. junk

junk Junior Member
    from Iowa

I bought a cheap 1/2 ton dodge regular cab truck with a plow on it. It works pretty good for plowing, but the engine is about shot and the cab floor is really rusty. Feel like fred flinstone driving it. My question is how would my 89 Crew Cab 1-ton ford do for plowing? I own an acreage and have plenty of room to work so I don't think the size will be a big problem. Is there any other concerns to think about other than manuverability. My other concern is about actually mounting a plow on the ford. I have a heavy duty bumper and grill guard on it I would like to keep. I would probably end up building a plow mount for the ford as the ford has some custom spring mounts in the front also. Not afraid to fabricate, but like to have an idea what is needed before digging into it.

2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

You can absolutly plow with that vehicle. I am a relatively young snowplower only being 19 years old, but in my 4 years of experience i have worked with similiar vehicles. My uncles both own older late 80's F series trucks and one is a crew cab dump.... now thats a big truck. But anyways, they are tough old trucks and they handle the 9 foot plows very well. I have plowed with both and they both push a lot of snow I say fab up your mount, and ditch the junker and start plowin in the 350. Your only concern with that truck would be plowing residentially, because thats a 20+ foot rig and WILL give u headaches manuevering. Thats my .02

Kevin aka plowkid
  3. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I plow with my F350 Crew cab with an 8 foot box. I can plow a house down with that thing. There are pros and cons, it is a long truck, figure 25 feet with plow. Similar to plowing with a metro transit bus as far as turing around and stuff, but then again, you can take the whole family with you (ok, the kids, not the wife, why ruin a good day of fun) anyway put the plow on that truck and go. My F350 has a 460 in it, not fun on gas, but like I said you can use it like a D-9 Dozer.
  4. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

I would be more inclined to say keep the dodge and drop a motor in it. But, I am a bit biased! lol (see the sig) :D
    Either way, I would say to pick the one you are most comfortable with. How old is the dodge? Might be worth it to just run it into the ground. At leaast that way you have something you can beat on if you have to.

I know, i'm a big help right?:dizzy:
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

as long as the truck is 4x4 it can plow:)
  6. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

No problem at all using your crew cab. I agree with the above threads that it is tough using a truck with a long wheelbase but that's just something to get used to. No big deal in my book.

As for the mount, I have seen some guys keep their grill guards when plowing with a Meyer plow. The easy mount harness bolts up under the frame of the truck. The lift frame slides in the receiver tubes on the harness just under the front bumper. The harness & lift frame would cost around $750.00 + or - in parts from CPW. Just swap the pump & lights from your old setup. You May need some minor fabbing on the pin points of the plow but nothing major.

Good luck. Jake
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with a crew cab one ton dually with a Blizzard 810. Do parking lots. Would use it for driveways too because Im adding a snowman rear mount pull plow. Then there is no need to manouver. Blizzard makes an under carriage for that truck.

Dave. Blizzard dealer.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I have a f350 crew cab 6,5 box and a new 8ft western pro plow no problem here
  9. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Go for it...[​IMG]

96 f-350 with plowsmall.jpg
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Should have a Blizzard 810 on that bull dog.
  11. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Re: heroncovepm

That thing is LOOOOOOOOOONG gone.payup
  12. North Country

North Country Senior Member

You just need to use common sense in this situation. Because you have a 1 ton I wouldn't see a problem.

Get out the calculator - if you run a heavy plow (V, Blizzard, Metal foil etc.), + the weight of the multiple people/ things you can stuff into a crew cab it can add up. As long as you are in the ballpark of the gross front axle weight limits (which are always under rated) You will be golden! - michael