1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with CJ7

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smiti105, Nov 1, 2004.

1. smiti105

smiti105 Member

I am going to look into plowing with my CJ. Wondering if a meyer st90 is a good choice? How is the truck for plowing in the first place? Thanks for the help, everything is appreciated. Let it snow.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

7.5ft is pretty wide for a Jeep stick with 6.5 or 7.

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a Cj 2 with a V8 that I use for plowing at an apartment complex we do. It has a 7 ft Meyer and I have pro wings on it also. I have locking diffs front and rear and I put 400 lbs of sand bags in the back. It wont push the same amount as a pickup. If you are wanting to plow comercially you really need a unit with more weight.

4. smiti105

smiti105 Member

No I am just looking to do a couple driveways here and there. You know a little extra cash for when it snows.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The CJ7 should be OK for light use. Just remember that a jeep doesnt have a very strong frame.

6. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

My uncle had a Jeep with a V8 in it and the thing could do wheelies!

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I plow with an '85 CJ-7 (258-L6 w/T176 4 speed). It's a great set-up, but as stated earlier, 7.5' is a lot of plow for that truck.

The two most important factors in how well a truck plows are 1) Weight, 2) Traction.

1) The CJ doesn't weigh a lot. So adding some ballast will help.

2) Good tires (narrow w/ a snow tread) or chains will make a huge difference. (more weight also helps with traction)

This link has an image of my CJ with a Fisher plow: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=13930

Jeff Pierce

8. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Yea i have the same 258, gearing set-up. I bought the plow because of the price. Can you chop a plow down to size? Like I said I am not going nuts with it. Thanks for all the help, it is nice to come to a BB and actually have someone help you. Have a good one.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Search the forum about cutting a plow down. Others have done it. I'm not a welder, but it seems like it would be reasonably easy if you were good at it (welding).

What kind of plow is it?

Jeff Pierce

10. smiti105

smiti105 Member

It is a Meyer ST90. 7.5 feet

11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Smiti,

If I were in your situation, I think I'd just go with the 7.5' blade for now, and keep my eyes open for a 7' or 6.5'. The 2 main concerns with the larger blade are 1) weight: carrying it around, not plowing 2) traction: that too much snow will build up in front of that big plow. Both of these issues can be worked around.

1) You're only looking to do a few driveways, so just don't take on any where you have to travel more than a mile.

2) Plow with the storm, so you're not trying to push 10" of snow with that big plow.

I bet if you're patient, you'll find a smaller blade that you can swap even for. If not, then think about cutting it.

Jeff Pierce

12. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We used to have a CJ7 as a back up and it always tended to slide sideways. Maybe it was the tires.

13. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Yea I will keep an eye open for a 6.5, the reason i got the ST-90 is because of the price and did not realize that a 6.5 or 7" would be better for my situation. Will any Meyer fit onto my sub-frame that I have for the ST-90? It seems to be an older plow and I cant find anything on it to give me a year that it was made. Until it snows greetings from New Jersey.

14. apkole

apkole Member

We use two CJs for plowing. Our '77 has a fixed V for sidewalks and the '78 has front and rear plows for driveways. The front blade measures 6.5' and the back blade is 6'. Any good fabrication shop should be able to cut that plow down to size.

Both of these jeeps have 304 V8 engines with the Turbo400 GM auto tranny, so that adds some weight for plowing. Both Jeeps have fiberglass bodies, but they work well for plowing. Power to weight ratio is good, so moving snow is no problem. The Quadratrac system seems to do a good job of keeping our drivers out of trouble.

You're moving in the right direction though. Isn,t much out there for trucks that will out turn a CJ. Very good in tight spots with limited space. From what I've seen, the subframes should be the same for the smaller plows and the ST90.

As for frame issues: We haven't had many. More of an issue with rusting out than breaking. I would suggest having a qualified fabricator install the plow frame. Ask 'em to install solid steel blocks where the mounting bolts go through the boxed section of the frame. Then drill for the mounting bolts. Otherwise the frame collapses when attempting to tighten the bolts. Do it right the first time to save grief down the road.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  15. smiti105

smiti105 Member

My frame looks like it is in good condition, not much rust. I will look into mounting those "blocks" that you spoke about. How thick should they actually be? I wll install them if you think it will help with less stress on the frame itself. Thanks for the input, great help.

16. gpin

gpin Senior Member

APKOLE makes a good point with the Qudratrac. My CJ& did not have qtrack, was also only a 6 cyl and a four speed, and tended to go sideways when plowing or driving on any slippery surface. I'm sure that qtrack and the auto trans helps the CJs track better.

17. apkole

apkole Member

Those steel blocks will be long enough to span the thickness of the boxed frame. They are probably 2" square stock so that there is a good amount of structure left after drilling the 1/2" hole through it. The installer would cut a square hole through each side of the frame, then position the block and weld it into place.

18. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Quarter inch stock, eigth inch stock?,

19. apkole

apkole Member

Solid steel, measures 2" x 2" x whatever distance is from one side of the boxed frame to the other. Just cut it to length.

20. apkole

apkole Member

Solid steel. Measures 2" x 2" x whatever the distance is from one side of the boxed frame to the other. (2" -3"?) Just cut it to length. Sorry about the delay in responding. Busy dropping plowing quotes and wrapping up the residential roofing for the season.