1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with ATV

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by accuratelawn, Nov 14, 2003.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn Junior Member

I will be doing some drives this winter. I own an Artic Cat 400 two wheel drive. Can I plow with it? What additions should i make...chains, different tires, weight?
    My work truck is a F350 two wheel drive.

I'm is SW Missouri, most snow events are small 2-6 inches. March storms can produce 12"+

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

youll need chains
    plus so extra weight in the back

plow with the storm if it get heavy or deep
    the quad wont work
    then its time for the blower

john

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have had plows on two different four wheelers. Both of them were 4 wheel drive. They worked fairly well for personal use but I would not want to hire out using one. It takes a while to move much snow but they are good in tight quarters. I never had to run chains but like I said they were both 4 wheel drive. I would guess that you will need chains on that two wheel drive and some weight on the back. As far as the tires you will probably be fine with the stock ones as long as you do chain up. The biggest thing I did not care for is the open cab. It gets mighty cold up here and plowing for an hour really freezes the old whiskers. It use to take me about an hour to do my driveway with the ATV. Yesterday with my new full size plow it took less than 15 minutes to do the same job.

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

have few companies by me that use them only for walkways and use chains when things get deep..

5. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

simple answer you can do sidewalks however i dont think youll be doing driveways goodluck

6. accuratelawn

I ordered some wider than stock tires plus chain today. We'll see how it goes.
    Thanks for your responses.

7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Wider than stock tires is not a good idea. More aggressive would be good but the wider the tire the less traction you will get on snow and ice. If you are wanting to float on top of the snow wide would be good but when plowing you do not want to float on top. You will find that chains on the stock tires will work better than the aftermarket wide tires.

8. CARDOCTOR

strap a couple bags of sand or salt
    to help with traction

john

9. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

I agree with Crumm. Wider tires with more surface area contacting the ground at any given time (vs. stock or skinny tires) will reduce the ground PSI rating. This means the weight of the ATV will be spread out over a larger area on the ground where the tire makes contact. What you are looking for is the highest coefficient of friction at the point where contact is made with the ground. I would think that this coefficient increases proportionately with the PSI rating. Although it may also increase with a larger surface area at the contact point, I think it would increase more with an increased PSI rating. I could be totally off here, but that is my immediate impression on the subject.

10. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have plowed 8 years commercially & residentially in Sullivan, MO with a Arctic Cat 400 4X4 with 60 inch blade and don't have any trouble.:waving:
    You might want to consider using a 48 inch blade to compensate for the 2X4, harder to steer with the 2X4. I have never used chains but they might come in handy! Where are you at in south west MO?

11. accuratelawn

Boast,
    I'm in Springfield.

12. Boast Enterpris

any update on the plow situation? Hope it works well for you. Do you have any Knowledge of the Hamilton Properties Corporation in Springfield? They own a couple of complexes in Sullivan. If you know these guys or their complexes in Springfield let me know with a PM:cool:

13. accuratelawn

Boast,
    PM feature is not working.
    I have bid on Hamilton properties twice is the past. No luck.
    Why do you ask?
    Jeff

14. Boast Enterpris

Hamilton Properties

Accuratelawn,
    Still not able to pm. I was just wondering, I take care of theirs in sullivan. I had some tips for you to get your foot in the door, may not be worth your time. Try Me AT jaredboast@yahoo.com

15. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

Been thinking about getting an ATV to do all the sidewalks we ahve this year. I'm shocked to hear you guys say you can even do any snow with a 4x2!:eek:
    The Arctic Cat 400 is the only one mentioned in this thread. Any other good ones to consider?

16. Boast Enterpris

17. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

I love my Grizz 600, I have a 60in blade for it!

dscf0012 (resized) (copy 2).jpg

18. Boast Enterpris

Arctic Cat

Sorry everybody about the kinda double post, my computer has been acting up:realmad:

imasnowpro,

I started with a Yamaha Grizzly, When they quit making it with high & low range, I switched to a 400 Arctic Cat because the had both ranges. The 400 4X4 also has the independent rear supension, which made for an easier transition from parking area to sidewalk with a load of salt in the spreader. The arctic cat also is liquid cooled, which means you can get a block heater to aid in those really cold starts. Since my ATV doubles as a farm implement in the summer time the liquid cooled motor will last longer (Hopefully). Do to tax reasons & salt I usually don't keep one longer than 2 1/2 years. Don't get me wrong the Yamaha is a great ATV, at the time Arctic Cat Seemed to be what to go with, so when I trade I keep going back do to hardware reasons.
    jared

19. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

Jared-
    Thanks for the input.

Anyone else out there with comments on their ATV's for plowing?

20. CARDOCTOR

doesnt artic cat run suzuki drive train
    john