1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with an SUV?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nherweck, Dec 5, 2005.

1. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

OK...my little truck just won't do what I'd like it to do for me, so I may be selling it within the next month and upgrading to a large SUV, probably a Chevy Surburban or GMC Yukon XL. I'd like to even put a plow on it over the summer for the following year; what are the pros and cons to this? Do you guys have any pictures of SUVs beings used to plow or even driven with a plow on it? Any help would be great appreciated! THANKS!:)
  2. nherweck,
    Before I got my 2500 HD Crew Cab, I plowed with 3 different Suburbans, all in the 1990's. I plowed about 20 driveways and made a bundle of money. The 95 3/4 ton I had was the best, but the 1/2 tons did OK too. You'll have to get over the looks you get with a plow on the family truckster but it's all about the spending $$$ isn't it? Now I don't know if you can even put a plow on the Suburban/Yukon anymore. Maybe the Fisher "Homesteader" or something similar. Good Luck in the decision making process.
  3. I had a 2003 3/4 ton Suburban I just traded in that had a Meyer 7.5 plow on it and it worked great. Put Timbrens on the front and was all set. It was very comfortable to plow; heated seats, Bose stereo, and cd player w/ 7" monitor. The only bad part was seeing behind you because it so far to look back. If you had a truck with a cap on back you probably are used to it but I was never fond of caps so it was a big change. Other than that it was two thumbs up!
  4. BigSky

BigSky Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I recently had an 8' Hiniker C plow and a Snowex Spreader installed on my 2001 1/2 ton Suburban along with a set of Timbrens. It is a sweet setup (heated seats) and pushes snow like a tank. They had to carve a little notch out of the plastic air damn in the front bumper but I don't know if that's required for all plow types.

Only downside is you have a little less visibility out the rear and a much tighter ride with the Timbrens.
  5. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Love mine. Works great. Comfortable. There are some pics on here somewhere if you do a search in the pictures section for "Tahoe" :cool:
  6. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I would get the 2500 Suburban, they are designed to haul heavy loads and heavy duty use, not just hauling people.