1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with an s10/sonoma

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2low4nh, Jun 21, 2009.

1. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

Okay i need info. i want to start plowing this year. i do landscaping and masonry 3 of the 4 seasons. come winter i have no work and get really bored and broke. i dont want to buy a full size truck i like s10's i have owned many of them. i see people plowing with them all the time. i have 2 contracts that said once i have a plow i have the job. those contracts are my lawn care clients. it would be 2 small parking lots that are 150x100 and 3 drive ways that are about 200 feet long and one thats 600 feet long. i have a ford f350 dump thats a gas job but its a gas hog and would eat up profits quick. s10's are dirt cheap and easy to fix. so who here plows with an s10 and how well do they hold up? i live in NH where we get some heavy storms but i think an s10 4x4 with the 4.3 will have enough power to push back some snow. lets hear you opinions

2. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i had a s-10 blazer ...plowed great

3. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

how did it hold up? what did you plow with it?

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

get the new western hts! or you might be stuck with a suburban light or something along thoes lines cause or weight issues your going to have!

5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

mine was an 88 with a fisher that had a poly edge...worked great and didnt dig up lawn

6. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

i have an 04 crew cab s that i am debating putting a plow on but i am also considering buying a used s10 that already has a plow mounted on it. it would be cheaper to buy the truck vs. buying a brandnew plow. i just want to make sure its worth buying a 3k dollar s to plow with. or if i should just find a run down f350 or a silverado

7. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I would think you would be better to just buy an old 9 foot unimount and fix it up for your dump truck, or maybe a 8'6 and buy wings, whatever. You say its a whoer on gas, but realistically no truck unless its diesel gets over what 8 mpg plowing? I would say instead of your dumper sitting around all winter, make it earn its keep instead of buying, maintaining, insuring, and storing another truck. It'll last alot longer than an s10 would physically, and I would bet that you'll never find any snow you struggle to push with that 1 ton. My point being the extra gas youd burn I would think far outweighs the cost of running another truck while it sits.

8. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

the one ton is actually the family's company truck the landscaping is my company. i have full use of the one ton and i am the only one that drives the truck. but needless to say i dont own it thats why i dont want to use it for plowing. i can use it and do anything i want to it since well its my truck i just dont pay for it. i may be picking up a 91 f350 they only want a grand for it. im going to look at it tommorow. it has an 8 foot fisher minute mount

9. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

run the 1 ton and tell me where the s10 is...:nod:

10. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

11. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

tell me theres a big block in there...:)

12. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

negative. it has a 2.2L 4 cylinder. it has a mean suspension though. it also looks like a dually and has enough room to run up to 18 inches of rubber in the back. maybe one day it will have a 383 but i doubt it im poor!