1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with an S-10

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Farmall Teen, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Farmall Teen

Farmall Teen Junior Member

I have been looking around for a truck and I ran acrossed an S-10 with a smaller plow on it. I am thinking that I can kill to birds with one stone. But the question is, could you plow snow with a S-10, or would it be more of a pain because of it's size.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

If you are doing just residentials, it will be a perfect truck. If you are going to be doing bigger commercials, I wouldnt recommend that truck for that. There are a few guys on here who have S10's and plow with them with out any problem. Also, what year, miles, kind of plow, etc. A little more info will be helpful.
  3. Farmall Teen

Farmall Teen Junior Member

The truck I am looking at is a 1995 Extended Cab 4 by 4. The add in the paper says it runs and drives well, but the kicker is that it needs brake work. I have seen it and the body seems to look fairly well, I just need to stop and look at it with my knowledgeable friend. I am almost certain that the plow is a Meyer.

I was mainly wondering if it was a good idea to consider it.

Why would this truck be bad for commerical plowing, I can understand why it would be good for residental?
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

You are doing the right thing by taking someone knowledgeable with you. You dont want to buy a lemon that breaks down the first time you use it. I feel that an S10 is too small for some commercial plowing, it just depends on the size of the area. Lets say for instance you have a 300x500 foot parking area with only one place to put the snow. Then you get a big snow, lets just say a foot. That truck does not have the weight or the power to push a large amount of snow like that very far. You would end up doing half passes or less to move it. Which would in turn take twice as much time or longer. As with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, you have a lot more power and weight to push and stack large amounts of snow. If all you are doing is residential, then a S10 is fine. It is small and has a great turning radius as compared to a full size.
  5. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

The s-10 will be a great residential plow rig for you small and compact. I had a GMC S-15 with a Fisher on it and it was great for driveways as a matter of fact my brother still uses it. I also had a Ranger with a plow to and they were both great driveway rigs. Did some small commercially with them but not much. Steve
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a S-10 Blazer that I use mostly for clean-up around a few mini-malls and restruants around town, and it is a nice piece of equipment to have for that reason only. If I had to do a whole commercial lot with it I would scrap it and find something much larger to use. Residental drives are great in it just for the size and ease of getting around driveway hazzards
  7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i had a s10 plowed with it last year it was a 96...no problems perfect little truck...only reason why i sold was needed more leg room...but other than that i miss that little truck....and it was a perfect plow truck for driveways and small lots...good luck ull have no problems with it
  8. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

For commerical accounts you have to find someone who gets it. We are a larger player and have a couple of smaller trucks to do clean up or cut outs or sometimes even walks.... as far as larger lots they do fine for smaller snow however as stated above it will be very hard on your truck to try to push much snow....
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What kind of plowing do you intend on doing?

Your own drive +friends and family.
    Residential drives.?
    Parking lots.?
    All of the above and more?
    Yes, you can plow with it.
    There is a niche market for them but if you do not all ready have them as customers it can be hard to get those accounts.

If you plan on making money plowing do not limit your self by buying a small truck.

Get a full size truck, preferably a 3/4 ton or bigger.
    You can plow most residential drives with them and you can also plow parking lots.
    In this business it is better to have to much truck than not enough.

what about carrying a salter? A bigger truck would be nice.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Do yourself a favor

Do yourself a favor, Having a 95 S10 Blazer 4.3,auto... myself they are a mechanical nightmare...Get on some of the S10 sites and do allot of research on them,a few more common things are Bad front ends,upper and lower ball joints,idler arms etc,poor remote oil filter lines, factory double crimp let go....Have to update with newer triple crimp lines.Need to make sure it has an external trans cooler as the factory rad cooler not enough for towing or plowing.Cannot forget lower engine knock/piston slap whatever GM calls it they say it is fine... Anything to due with the vacuum system.....You are doing a good thing by bringing a mechanic with you....I have mine in good shape but it takes allot of time to keep up with...
    I do like certain things about my S10 this is my second but it will also be my last...
    Check them out for yourself.

11. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I have a 94 Blazer LT 4.3CPI w-code 4spd-auto
    Its hard to find a used one, with a good front end as people dont seem to like to spend the money to fix them. with that said, It also a good way to buy them .
    You can save some money replace your front end parts with sever duty Moog parts.
    Take your oil fitler lines into a local shop and have them redone with new fittings and hoses. Piston slap is almost impossiable to get rid of, but it only happens when there are cold. Replace you vacuum lines every few years. your factory heater core will only last about 5 years, but advance sells them for $20.00 and they only take 45 minutes to install.
    watch out for rust on the bottom of the front doors, if they rust thru you need to repair or replace them as if you wait you'll have many problems like doors wont open windows stop working.
    Replacing your starter is a pain in the butt, I suggest replacing with a factory part as they hold up much better and dont need shims.
    I have 190,000 miles on mine and I love it. I change my oil every 2 years or 15k-20K miles with Mobil one.
    I have been waiting for my engine to let go, so I can build it or install a small block.
    I can hop in it and drive it anywhere without concern. it's all on how you care for your truck.

I have 190,000 miles on factory engine and trans "not rebuilt" it just keeps on running.
  12. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

I love my s-10 for plowing, however I am only doing residential drives with it. I would think anything larger would be too much. They are great for fitting in small spots, and the turning radius is awesome. The guys already listed the typical things that tend to go first on the trucks. Just have a mechaninc check the truck out before you buy, but I would do that with any truck i wanted to buy.
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

SALOPEZ had a 1989 S-10 with a 6.5' polar plow (a western copy) bought it for $700. Its old and its rusty. But still does a great job of plowing. 10 bags of icemelt and a loaded western 500 spreader. She just keeps on pushing.
  14. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

if your worried about the brakes the most you would need to spend in parts would be $150 to get you stopping on a dime thats with you doing the labor and not changing the drums but they rarely need replaced anyway no matter what midas or whoever Say's imo
  15. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

So did you end up buying the s 10?