1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with an f350 v10/western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Oct 18, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

as i may have mentioned,i work as a service tech for a ford dealer besides mowing/plowing.i considered putting an 8ft western pro plus plow on my 95 chevy k2500,but decided against it considering its age and mileage.i have talked with my customers at work and they swear by the f350(gas or diesel) with the western set up.the sales manager where i work allowed me to order a truck at a smoking price.it is an 04 f350 4wd,reg cab,xlt,plow,tow,off road packages,limited slip rear axle,and 265 at tires.i would be putting the western pro plus on this truck.does anyone plow with a set up like this?any problems?likes/dislikes?

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hi, I cant help with your questions, but I was wondering if you got a gas or diesel, automatic or stick, and SRW or DRW? And if at all possible, how much did you get the truck for? Sounds like its gonna be a real nice truck, as well as a great truck/plow combo. Good luck with it! Mike :waving:

3. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

the truck is a gas-v10,reg cab,single rear wheel.the price will be around 26k-loaded except leather.

4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I have 2 trucks with that exact set-up. except with an 8'6" no problems it works great. You'll love the v-10 other than the gas mileage. Plowing for 20 hrs in a diesel gets really old. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with western, very dependable plows and everyone sells them so you are always close to service if you happen to need it.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

:confused: :confused:

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Not when your still on the same tank of fuel with plenty more to spare:D

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With the diesel option being so much $$$ and the price of diesel and gas being close to equal, it is getting harder and harder to justify the cost differential. I can see the benifit if you own a 450 or bigger or if you are doing long distance towing and hauling. But for a pick up a gasser makes alot of sense.
    Dino

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

:confused: WHY!!:confused: :confused:

Greg

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

One thing I heard this week in a ford ad on the radio is that cash back offers are not available on diesel equiped trucks. Must be just the 04's but that could be another swing of 2-3 grand in the gassers favor.
    Dino

10. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Because the noise drives you crazy that's why. And those of you that say it's not that loud have never plowed with a gas engine or you are deaf or you get your kicks out of making noise. And the gas differential (who cares) if your not making enough money plowing to cover the gas for plowing with a gas engine it you're doing something wrong. Don't get me wrong I love driving a diesel truck just not while plowing also I should note I like plowing with the window open so the noise issue increases. just an opinion and everyone has one.

11. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Noise? Do you run a silent plow? I run the u-edge now but before that the plow edge scraping would drown out most other noise. Most of the time the motor is in the 1000-1300rpm range and is not to loud. I went from a Vortec gas motor to the diesel and the noise is not a issue.
    I also like plowing with the window down and the tunes on.

12. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

ok like I said it is an opinion and there is no way the plow is louder than the engine.

13. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

OK it's not as loud but is a constant noise which will help drown out the motor.
    I am not deaf butmaybe I just don't notice it anymore.

14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

The noise of a diesel gives me a woody!:yow!: LOL!!!

During a blizzard last year, I plowed for close to 72 hrs straight and the noise didn't bother me;)

Greg

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The noise is not an issuew for me really keeps me away at 3 in the morning. :)

16. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I haven't been able to plow with my diesel yet, but I am hoping that maybe my dad won't like the noise(I like it:D ), so that he will take the chevy gasser, and I'll get the Cummins:Doubt it, though-it is still probably quieter than the Chev:)

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Ditto Dockboy!!!

18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Ditto to which part Pelican, the woody?? :D Sorry, but you left yourself open for that one! Seriously though, the new Ford diesel motor, the 6.0, is much quieter than the 7.3 was, too bad its having so many problems. I have never plowed with a diesel before, but have been in one for a ride. Im not too fond of all the vibrating and shaking, but of course that is just an oppinion. Certain gas engines, when running properly, you cant feel them idle, nice and smooth. Mike :)

19. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Do you guys plow residential drives with diesels. Wouldn't you wake up the people at like 3 in the morning. This is another factor in deciding if I should go with the diesel or gas engine on my truck I will be purchasing soon.

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

yes the new 6.0 is much quieter than the 7.3 and has more power .:D didn't any one start that red 550 at the BBQ?