1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with an excursion?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ducatirider944, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm picking up a few more lots and need an extra plow truck. The wife has a Expedition and I know better than to put a plow on it. I was thinking about getting rid of it and finding a good 04' or 05' excursion with a diesel to put a plow on. Anyone using one or knows someone that is? I think it is on the same chassis as a f-250 extended cab short box but I'm not sure. Does it have the same running gear? I figured this would be a better option than getting another plow truck that I have to plate and insure for a year to only use for a few months out of a year. Plus it would get better mileage.

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

We meet again! Hope all is well.

If memory serves, I think Nascar24 was using one. Also, there's a guy locally around me that runs an 8' Stainless X-blade as well as a Hansen snowblower (it would appear as though he decides each storm which to use, as he has the Fisher setup to lift the blower, and he has a separate full setup with the plow). The excursions are monsters & should handle it like a 3/4 ton pickup. This one around me is also a diesel, but I don't think that would be a "must have," and might actually be easier for mounting/handling purposes being a gasser. Besides, if the Mrs is gonna still drive it, does she like the school bus sound?

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

they dont get everything they want....do they?:rolleyes:

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Tell that to my wife, and watch out for the flying objects!

5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

You can plow easily with a Hummer, so I guess it would be capable with an Excursion too!?!

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My Wife will drive The Big Red Drain if the plows off of it. If it's on, She will not even think of it. I have showed Her over and Over how to raise it and lower it. How to lock the hubs and shift into 4X4. She want's nothing to do with it ! I could just see Her with a Diesel. It makes a lot of NOISE! I HAVE TO WAIT TO START ! Diesel's the highest price fuel !

7. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

The Excursion is built off the same platform as the Super Duty trucks. Go for it! That would be a sweet setup.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Same issues as the Pick Up diesel adds a lot of weight to the front axle and if you don't have the Plow Prep you have to change the fan clutch. Other then that it would be like plowing with a pick up w/ a cap. Visablity would be limited but it would handle like the pick up otherwise.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Installed an 8.2 Boss poly V on an 04 Excursion last fall. Customer plowed every snow event (commercial & res) with it last season and reported it worked very well other than the poor rear visibility due to not being able to keep all the windows clear, especially the rear one after travailing on the highway. Had to get out and clear the rear window often.

Claimed traction/handling and plow carrying capability was as good or better than any super duty he owned previously. Runs a small tailgate spreader and 500 lbs of ballast.

Had the 5200 lb FAWR with Timbrens.

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I know quite a few people who plow with excursions. I know of one with a blizzard 810 on it.

11. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

One of my subs has an Excursion with the V-10 & 8' Hiniker, he loves it & when I seen him doing lots it handled everything. He only had trouble in the tight areas.

12. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the replies guys. I think it is the route I'm going to go. Going to check out a few that I've found next week

13. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I have an '02 Excursion with a Blizzard 810 and think it's fine... I have had people tell me that its nuts because of the diesel engines extra weight plus the long wheel base should be just about the max weight on the axle and the plow should be alot more than it can handle, but I haven't had a problem. I've had the plow on the truck since '03 and no plroblems.