1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with an atv?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowman91, Dec 2, 2007.

1. thinking about getting an atv to plow residential next year and i have a question about the blade do they angle right and left or only under pressure?
    do plows work well on an atv and do a good job?
  2. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I would like to inquire the same thing. And would this work/last longer than using a mower/tractor with a plow. How much more productive would one of these ideas be with say a 48 inch plow than to use a 26 inch 2 stage blower? I'm thinking at least 2-4x faster?
  3. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Will do "ok" with a few inches. Is 10" do-able, yes but it wont be fun. As far as angling the blade, most are manual and have 3 or so positions(left straight right)..although i know cycle country cells a kit to make it automatic. payup Plus in most, if not all, states atvs are not legal on roads so.....
  4. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Yeah, it sucks having to load it on a trailer and take a trailer around town while its snowing. I have had to do it before, it sucks. Plus its cold. If you are just looking to do your house and a few neighbors it will suit you well enough, but there has been a few times I have opted to use the big snowblower over the atv for the deep stuff.
  5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

just yesterday i had to plow a path through the woods with a 650 honda 4 wheeler with a 60" plow it saved me a hell of a lot of time but good tires are a must and chains really help too.
  6. whats the smallest sidewalk you can do with an atv?
  7. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

most atv's are not any wider than 4 feet. Atleast my king quad isnt and its a 700CC beast. So the plow is prob 4-5 feet wide maybe? give or take.
  8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

even the big ones like a polaris sportsman are 48" wide.

if your going from lot to lot that would suck i think but for your house and others that are close. it will be ok. but COLD>>>>>>>>>>>:help:
  9. how hard would it be to plow a sidewalk by me with an atv because the walks are 48'' wide? im also thinking about getting a garden tractor and putting the thrower attachment on instead how do they turn and proform
  10. Ground Control

Ground Control Member

atv plows mainly come in 48" 54" and 60" widths. I have a 48" cycle country plow on a Honda Rancher 400 and I can push a foot of snow with no problem. But remember that the 48" plow will only clear about 44" when angled. As for the garden tractor....it definitely wont work nearly as well as an atv......no 4wd and wont go nearly as fast
  11. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

The first plow vehicle I owned was a 1986 Yamaha Moto4 2x4 with a plow and mighty 225cc motor. For doing my driveway and my neighbor's, it wasn't too bad but if there was a little ice on the ground, I had to sit on the rear rack in order to get traction. I just bought an '07 Honda Foreman 500 with a 54" Cycle Country plow. I can't wait to try it out doing sidewalks/small areas of the properties I manage.
  12. think an atv would be good to use on a 48'' wide sidewalk or its too tight of a squeeze
  13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Just remember! You are still going to have to plow it way onto the lawn to make room for the next storm. A good blower won't have that problem, but it is slower.
  14. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I plow 5 miles of City sidewalks every time it snows 2" or more. The last 4 years I have used a Polaris Quad with a polaris V plow. I have sidewalks from 36" wide to 6' wide and it will handle all of them. My quad is actually 44" wide at the wheels. They work great for sidewalks.

One year I even plowed and Auto Zone parking lot with it. That sucked. Back and forth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth. You get the idea. Even with driveways you will wish you had a plow truck. Don't get me wrong, they will do it just fine, but it can be frustrating only moving 3' at a time.

Most plows have 5 settings. All the way right, some right, center, some left, all the way left. They either use mechanical or winch or cylinder to move up and down. I would stick with the manual angle adjust. It is fast and easy to do.

Good Luck with it.
  15. dont the wheels tear up the grass?
  16. Ground Control

Ground Control Member

No, the tires shouldnt tear it up in the winter when everything's frozen. Although if you run the plow onto the grass at all it might tear it up. Around here a lot of the lawns are up about 2 inches higher than the sidewalk so it will definitely tear that up.
  17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

they dont always tear up the grass too bad once i was moving preety good 20+ mph and the sidewalk ended and before i knew it i was plowing the grass off lol. i had been going 30 hours straight so that might have something to do with it haha.
  18. the lawns at the properties i do are the most an inch higher than the walk
  19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Since I had my Photobucket account open, here is my Rancher pushing about 8" of powder.

20. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice picture, do you have a plow for the arctic cat?