1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a Wrangler

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boutallnite, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a 2000 TJ, 5 speed, 2 Spacrer lift.
    I am considering putting on a plow. I wanted to find out how the wranglers handle plowing.
    Also I am worried about burning out the clutch or killing the trany.
    Should I be worried about that or it should be OK?
    Also any recomindations on plows would be great.

Thanx.

2. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

How do Wranglers plow? Check out this thread I just started a few minutes ago.

I've been plowing with CJ's and Wranglers for 15+ years and haven't burned a clutch or cooked a tranny yet. I'm sure this can happen no matter what kind of vehicle you plow with.
    I've been told by local truck mechanics that the best plow for a Jeep is a Meyer, so that's what I've always put on my Jeeps.

3. Boutallnite

Thanx for the fast reply.

4. Boutallnite

Also what is better steel or poly?

5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I don't know anything about poly. The Meyer plow on my Jeep is a 6 1/2 foot steel and had the same on the CJ's I plowed with in the past. I'd guess that a poly would be fine for personal use, but I don't know about taking on 30+ driveway accounts with one.

6. Boutallnite

Do they steel plows bring the front of the jeep really low? I have a 2 inch lift on it so I should probably be ok though.
    And plus I would be working for a friend of mine and he got accounts with shopping plazas, so I probably be better off with steel, just incase.

7. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

The lift isn't going to help (I had a 2 1/2" lift in a CJ7 and still sagged like mad up front). There are a couple of different options to handle the weight. Air bags are a popular choice, and so are Timbrens. I went with the Timbrens, but if you go off roading with your Jeep the Timbrens will not allow the Jeep to flex at all. (They are basically a set of hard rubber round things that go inside the front coil springs) There's a pic of them. [​IMG]

8. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Hi Boutallnite...

Moosechaser from this site plows with an '01 TJ equipped with a Western LSX 7'2" steel blade. No lift in this jeep, just a set of Timbrens. Without the Timbrens there was quite a bit of front end sag. The little rubber marvels cleared that right up.

How does it plow?...... GREAT!!! She keeps right up with the big dogs on our commercials.

Dan

jeep_1.jpg

9. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Here's another pic for ya.....

jeep_stacking (2).jpg

10. Boutallnite

These Timbrens, inorder to install them I assume that the spring has to be taken off. They can't be squezed in there right? And where would I be able to get a set?

11. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

The Timbren install is rather simple. Pull the wheel, disconnect the shock at the bottom, remove spring and install the Timbren. The tool that makes it a breeze is a spring compresser. IF I had one of those, I could have avoided a few new hash marks on my knuckles. I used the "tie down" method that I DO NOT RECOMMEND . :nono: Very unsafe.

As for where to get them.... I'm sure some truck-jeep-plow type store either has them or could get the for you. I found mine at a local Jeep dealer. And of course there's always online shopping. Do a Timbren search here at Plowsite and you may just find the info you need.

Dan