1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a winter grill cover on yes or no?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by IA Farmer, Nov 26, 2011.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I have a 2006 Cummins and was wondering if I should plow with a grill cover or not? I know they make a big difference with helping get and keep the truck warm but I don't want it to overheat when i'm plowing. Thanks for the help.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Cant say for a dodge but a duramax does not like the bra on travel with a plow.

3. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

Dont have a cummins but my
    5.9 does just fine without one

4. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

If you use one at startup, I'd pull it after she warms up.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You want as much airflow as possible. Not just for the engine, but the alternator too.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

My 12V runs cold in the winter. We had cardboard on the rad most of the winter actually. It is a non ac truck which probably hurt it for staying warm by not having a condensor to help slow down the air. My 04 PSD started running colder when temps dropped too. I remember my guy had a pepsi box on the grill for a little while during Jan/Feb LOL. As for my Dmaxes I had winter fronts for most of them and never put them on. They always seemed to be fine.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

If I were you I'd just keep it handy and see. Chances are you won't need it, but on a 10* blustery plow night you may have cold toes if you don't ;)

8. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Thanks for the help, I ordered one and will pick it up tomorrow and just see how it goes on cold days.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They're great for traveling.................nice to have in case

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Bill that makes me laugh. Last year I was plowing in the 6.5L and it was so cold and windy out I couldn't even have the window down. I kept having to pull out of the lot I was plowing and run up and down randall road with the plow all the way up to make enough heat to get the windsheld to defrost. :laughing:

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lmao nice...........

12. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

If your truck doesn't warm up- you need a new thermostat! The way it works is that the fan engages because the heat through the radiator makes the fan engage. So if you made the fan word harder -makes the engine work harder - making you pay more for gas(diesel).
    If you had made a high performance Cummins and were towing and the engine temp got too high then you change the cooling system- not before

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They make winter fronts for diesels for a reason......not b/c brand new trucks need thermostats ;)

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run one to keep the snow from getting on my belts mostly do that during a blizzard

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

If the temp for the day didn't break zero f then a grill cover might be handy. I have never had any issues with mine with lack of heat.

16. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Only time I've had a problem was during the blizzard last season. Wasn't a huge deal, and I do not cover the grill.

17. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

We only need a thermostat is in the summer. To cool the engine down. I usually take them out for the winter

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

T stats are there for a reason. In the winter it is to maitain a certain run temp to make the engine run as efficient as possible. Remove this in the winter and the truck engine will never create ample heat or reach a proper running temp. The cab will always be cold and the engine will run rich. NTM waiting forever in the AM to defrost the windows...

Now if you do this to stop overheating issues caused by the blade then you are still creating more issues. Engines overheat mainly from the lack of positive air pressure on the radiator which is used to cool the engine. The way to solve this issue is causing more air to be pulled through the rad. This can be done by messing with the blade run heights and angles and a heavy duty clutch on the fan.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad I'm not too worried about buying a truck you owned.

20. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I keep a piece of cardboard in front of the Air intake on the pass side of the grill to keep snow out of the intake. You WILL clog the air filtr with snow if not, but the full front cover I would leave open for the trans cooler and stuff. just block the air intake.