1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a welded rear diff

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChrisinVT, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ChrisinVT

ChrisinVT Junior Member
    from Vermont

So I've done a bit of searching and haven't gotten a good answer. I'm looking for anyone who's plowing with a fully welded rear differential, or a spool. I'm considering welding the rear in my plow truck (1991 S10 pickup) to help out with traction. This is a vehicle that it's only purpose in life is plowing my driveway, so I'm thinking that every little bit of help it can have, it will get.

I have the rear differential welded in my '87 GMC S15 and it's great, but trying to drive in the snow is horrible. I'm sure the 12.5" wide mud tires don't help, because even before the welded rear diff it was like driving on glass. Now it's just sideways, everywhere. It doesn't get driven in the winter though.

My driveway is more like an open parking lot, no turns. Just push the snow all one way. My neighbor's driveway which I plow also is a circular driveway, so I'm concerned about that. Last year I was plowing with a 2002 Dodge pickup, the year before that a 1989 Ford F-150. This will be the first year with the S10 pickup.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Get a set of tire chains.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Buy better tires, get chains, add weight, swap for a posi...... Do it right or don't do it at all.
  4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

a welded rear will work, but like you said, sideways. all. the. time. always.

get chains. open diff will leave one wheel for lateral stability. and lots of weight, if its only purpose is your driveway, then load that biatch down heavy. weld solid bars in between the axle and frame to eliminate sagging.
  5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

You'll always be sideways. Treater like a beater and load that puppy down!

I've got the rear welded in my sonoma, simply because i didnt want to waste any money on my stock 7.5. Its fun for lighting them up (check out my sig for a video :D ), but for everyday it sucks! cant wait to get my 8.5 and posi in it when the ls goes in!!
  6. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

agreed, you'll be sideways more than not. be more of a pita than its worth. I put a detroit in my old jeep. it was awesome in 4x4 in the snow, but then I busted the front driveshaft one day, then it snowed that night. I had tore the DS out and had it being rebuilt at a shop. this jeep would not go at all in the snow. just spun the tires and went sideways. at at least a locker will disengage. a welded rear is, well, welded. dont do it you'll be pissed at yourself. liek the other guy said get a set of chains or cables or something.
  7. ChrisinVT

ChrisinVT Junior Member
    from Vermont

I'll look into chains, I might actually have some around somewhere. For a truck that only plows my driveway it don't want to put any money into it in the form of different tires or the ridiculous cost of an LSD. The tires on it are studded with good tread, but look like they're also from 1991. It's bad enough that it needs a new clutch and gas tank, surprises surprises.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Chains and weight are a better option. Learning to drive with a very light foot will also help
  9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You could probably gauge how it'd feel by slapping your 1991's wheels/tires on the spooled 1987 and taking it for a test drive around the driveway when it snows...but I imagine everybody who says it'd be all sideways all the time is correct.
  10. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

Chris, just call me next time and I'll come by with the ol' diesel and clear it all out!! Aside from that, I'd go with the weight and tire chains as well. You might be able to just get away with some weight.

OR you could put tracks on that biotch!
  11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I love a good Lincoln Locker... but dont do it. You will bust something the first time you make a sharp turn on dry pavement:popcorn::popcorn:
  12. ChrisinVT

ChrisinVT Junior Member
    from Vermont

So to update this a bit, I've given up on my plow truck for the year. After repairing the gas tank, welding up the y-pipe, fixing the plow frame, replacing the clutch master 2x, clutch slave 3x and the entire clutch, my clutch fork bent when bleeding the air out of the clutch's hydraulic system.

I gave up and took the plow off and put it on my '87. I have to say, with the 33's and the welded rear end that truck is a freaking TANK to plow with. I've only gotten into a hairy situation a couple of times with the rear end sliding out on me, but I that was because I was going way too slow and trying to push way too much wet snow.

I've put about 5k on my Lincoln Locker already. Both on road, off road and in city driving in NY. No issues other than barking tires :)

Hey buddy, I didn't know you were on here! I should have figured though!