1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a v6???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lil'PlowinMan93, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Lil'PlowinMan93

Lil'PlowinMan93 Senior Member

Okay so i was at the chevy dealer the other day and they had a silverado 1500 4x4 with a 6 in it. Was around twenty reg price but with all these rebates going on i bet i could get it for around 17-18 from my buddy who works at a chevy dealer. For just doing drives and small lots like McDonalds and banks, how would a six work out if i wasn't pushing snow long distances? Hint i would have a tailgate spreader and only a 7'6" plow on it. Help! :dizzy:

2. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

A friend used to have a 1/2 ton with a V6 before upgrading to 3/4 ton with a V8. He saw a difference but we have a lot of hills here. If you're talking flat stuff with short runs, like you say, it might be OK. I'm guessing you'll run out of traction before you run out of out power. I've only plowed with a V8 and never came close to running out power, only traction. So, I can't say for sure but hope it helps you some.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I had several 1500 Chevys with the V6 and never had a problem with them. Same horsepower as a 305, better torque and a heck of alot better MPG.

Anyone remeber in the 60's and 70's when the only way could get a Dodge Powerwagon was with a 6 cylinder and they plowed with them?

4. Lil'PlowinMan93

Totally forgot about the 305 power

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

A V6 should have plenty of power to do what you're trying to do. As somebody said, as long as you're not making mile-long runs, or going up a ton of hills, you'll probably lose traction before power.

6. Lil'PlowinMan93

My thinking behind this was, i see plenty of guys plowing with s10's and blazers which have 6's so why not a full size? More weight and higher front gvwr...

7. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

how long are you gonna keep it? cause id rather have an 5.3 imo

8. Lil'PlowinMan93

Well... ill have it for quite awhile because im in a single car drive sharing it with a cobalt, trailblazer, and crew cab silverado 1500. So im trying to get good mileage, plow, and still be able to go wheeling and pull my summer landscape trailer which i will have no problem doing with a six.

9. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

That's what I'll be plowing with. And we've hauled our one and a half ton camper with a 2.9L V6 in a Bronco II with a 5-speed. Pllllenty of power on a '6

10. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I had a 1989 Chevy 2500 with a V6, auto, 8' Fisher.It had over 200,000 when I gave it to a friend for his privet road. It finially rusted out. It had enough power to push but not enough to do damage like a bigger engin would. The truck weight is limitted to how much snow you can push. Be sure to put a big tranny cooler in before you start plowing or you will cook a tranny fast.

11. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

My plow trucks over the years included V-10, V-8, and V-6 engines so I speak from experience. A V-6 will be fine.

12. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Mine has a Inline 5.

13. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

you are thinking about getting the 4.3 v6 just because its rated to get better MPG, think again.
    The best i get in my 2001 s10 is 14 city (normally its 12mpg, recently is 10mpg). I can sometimes get 21 on the highway, going 63 mph with no weight in the truck and a tonnue cover on the bed.
    I get about 7 mpg plowing.
    now, the power is really good for a stock 4.3 vortec, but its all in the low end. Its pretty much a v8 with two cylinders chopped off. They are fairly (to really) reliable, but can have some stupid issues.
    the 4.3 is a tried and tested platform, but its getting outdated.

Do yourself a favor and get the v8 in this situation. The v6 engine may be rated at 195hp, but stock, you will be lucky to see that.

14. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Mine's been very reliable. The only problem I had with the 4.3 Vortec in my Blazer is that the wires, cap, and rotor were old and were cross-arcing causing the enginge to attempt to fire in the wrong order.

Other than that, I love the thing.

15. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing, I dont have issues with plowing, think it will be ok. My issue would be if I hook up trailer and it is dead in the water. But I have had two ford f150s with straight sixes that pulled fine. You should be ok.

16. Lil'PlowinMan93

Thanks for all the input guys. Actually fisher was probably going to be my plow of choice too lol