1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a v-6

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rfed32, Jan 22, 2009.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i am looking at getting a new truck and plow...i was looking at the vortech-v6 that chevy has to offer in their 1500wt...i would be putting a fisher 7'6'' plow on this and will be plowing mainly small driveways and 2-3 small lots...what do u think
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Based on what you say you will use it for, that should work fine. Knock your socks off. V-6's of today have easliy as much, or more, power than V-8's from 10 years ago. Not to mention you are cutting down on weight, and possibly saving fuel.
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

only 10 less ft. lbs of torque then the 4.8... all that power is at 2000... u dont need hp, u need torque...

you'll have nooooooo problem at all, and hint hint, get an 8'... we love our v6
  4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

ussmileyflagtymusicGo for it. a 7.5 blade is a good match for that truck.
    Remember torque is what kills trannys. Guys are getting 3/4 or 1 ton trucks with diesel automatics and high diff ratios and wonder why there tranny dont last.
  5. JDiepstra

I'm over 70,000 miles with the Cummins and two chips stacked on it with 4.10 gears. Pushes snow like a freight train. What kind of trucks are you referring to?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  6. jimz2500

jimz2500 Member

I plowed for 5 seasons with a 95,tbi 4.3. Commercial lots, university lots and driveways.
    1/2 ton short bed w/4l60e
    it ran flawless and pushed just fine.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I think he meant tall gear meaning hiway, you are better off with your 4.10s it would be harder on your tranny with 3.73s or some of the old Cummins came with 3.42s
  8. JDiepstra

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I guess it does say high diffs..... if only I read better!