1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a utility bed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by born2farm, Jun 15, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Anybody plowing with a utility or service truck type body? I have a chance to buy a 3500 SRW Chevy with an 8ft service bed on it. Originally I was against the idea but now I am thinking that maybe it would not be so bad? Any pros or cons to them? I like all the extra storage especially for tools.

Thanks

2. onsight

onsight Senior Member

I don't think it's too bad. Have to use mirrors. I have 3 trucks with Utility boxes - all push
    9' 2" V Plows. Definately nice to have tools and parts with you.

DSCF4374.jpg

3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

we have one , no different than a one ton dunp ... like what was said before have to use mirrors ( the shiny things on the outside of the doors)

4. born2farm

ya I am not to worried about it not that you guys mention it. It does not have a cap on it so I can still see out the back window. Kind of like the idea of all the extra storage.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I miss mine. SRW 03 2500HD Dmax. Great truck and visibility was never an issue. I miss it for the work truck storage that's for sure. That truck had every random necessity at all times.

6. born2farm

Ya, I am kind of leaning towards buying it now. It will be nice to have all of the spare parts needed. Since I do not have a dedicated shop location I could put all my tools in there and not wonder where they went. Plus if all my plans pan out, I would like to start a mobile plow repair service as well as sell a few lines of plows, so this truck would come in handy for that as well. Only flaw I can see is if or should I say when my employees hit something, the bed will be harder to fix.

7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

funny you mention that, ive wanted to fo the same thing for some time now with plow service

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

As for repair, the rear bumpers on service beds are pretty stout. Unless they side swiped something, the service body would have a LOT less damage than a pickup ever would.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

As for the onsite repair, we've kicked the idea around too.

10. born2farm

Ya. I dont know I think it would be a good way to generate some extra income and build a strong network with local companies.

Now I just have to decide if this truck is worth it. It is a 1989 Chevy 3500 with a 9.2 Boss V. The truck is suprisingly not all rotted out and only needs one cab corner patched and the drivers door replace. The truck has a 454 V8 and the 400 Tranny. I can get it for $4200-$4500 Just got to decide soon.

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I've never thought having your own lots to plow and fixing other peoples crap would work very well... They'll always call when your busy and need to do your own thing... And after you turn them down once or twice, they wount be calling again...

12. born2farm

Ya if I did anything like this it would have a dedicated mechanic in it and only be used as a backup truck for us.

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Gotcha, just for some reason, everyone I know that has a truck as a "backup" ends up having a full route midway thru the season for it LOL... Sounds like a nice rig, good luck

14. born2farm

Ya. Just something I have been kicking around. I am at the point where I can get by with one truck but could keep two busy especially with all of the bidding I plan to do this winter. I am a little worried about buying an older truck, but I think another truck is a good investment. I like workin on stuff so getting it redone should not be a problem.

15. onsight

onsight Senior Member

16. born2farm