1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a Unimog?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, Jan 12, 2002.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes, i did a search and found a topic from last year. since it was mainly about farm tractors i thought i'd start a new thread.

while looking in a truck trader mag this week i saw a unimog for sale. it got me thinking, i did a search and a plowsite user, who had one post, mdtrussel has 2 unimogs he plows with. would any of you buy a unimog to plow with. they have as many attachments as skidsteers it seems between plow,snowblowers, mowers, sweepers, etc. I think case at one time sold them and there's probably parts sources around through case or mercedes.

the question. for like a mountain road or something where a typical 4wd truck wouldn't cut it, would you plow with a unimog? to me it seems like a cool plow truck, but the cost and comfort might be a let down. i'm only 5'8" so i'd probably be comfortable in one.

what are your thoughts?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

From what I have seen of them (never in person) I think they wold be excellent plow trucks for that type of use. Kind of like a mini-Osh-Kosh. Definately got the power and the short wheelbase would be nice. I would bet that you could mount a spreader on the back and equip one with a hydro setup.
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Now you got me thinking...

One word... WOW

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

blow mulch with in the summer!!!!!!!!!?????????
  5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

There is a place in Rhode Island that sells Unimogs. I haven't been there, just remember seeing the website. The website is: http://members.aol.com/_ht_b/RImogs/ if you want to check it out. Looks like some pretty interesting 'toys'.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2002
  6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah really. You can blow mulch, dirt, pea-gravel, asphalt, mailboxes, and even Volkswagons. That thing is a beast!

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

9. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Our town had one with all the bells and whistles.They finaly sold it because it got very expensive to up keep and took a long time to get the parts.
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I had a Unimog a 1972 model. Had a 9' straight blade and a 7' blower. The truck plowed for almost 20 years. Ours had lots of options 3-point hitch, 3 way dumping box, front and rear pto ( 2 speed), and the extra gear boxes ( crawler and super crawler)
    Top speed in 1st gear (super crawler) 60 FEET/HOUR! 24 forward speeds, and 16 reverse. Parts became a problem when Mercedes stopped importing them to Canada. The truck new cost about $13,000, today they're over $100,000. The good news is that Freightliner is going to be importing them again.
    It's the most universal vehicle you can buy, they can be equipped with everything from a plow to a backhoe, and still travel at highway speeds.

11. steveair

steveair Senior Member

have you ever actually sat in a older mog?

If you have, then u surely realize that they were designed for a person with a maximun height of 4'6". Don't get it either, are germans short people? As for the passenger seat.....lol....I think 6 year olds would complain about the room.

As a 'neat' toy to tool around in, I think it may be ok. But seriously, I spent 1/2 hour in one once and wanted to get the hek out of it as soon as possible.......one of the most undriver friendly and uncomfortable machines in the world to operate.

Yes, they do have good power and lots of neat attachments, but are truly 'dinosaurs' in the comfort department..........they make running a snowblower for 12 hours straight in the middle of a blizzard seem relaxing.

12. nsmilligan

Got to disagree with you unless the one you were in was Really old, mine had lots room for a 6+ footer( there was lots of seat adjustment, the front of the drivers seat was adjustable up and down, and the seat back could also be adjusted, there was no adjustment on the passenger seat, forward and reverse were on one lever, it had a good heater, and defroster system, and the hydraulic levers were on either side of the steering colume, and easy to find and use. I spent many 12 hour snow days in one, and I'm not trying to say it was as comfortable as my Dodge Sport, but I,ve been in a lot worse. The new ones are really nice and comfortable, and with options like an electrially heated windshield, are made to move snow and work year around.

pS They're a real workhorse, and far from being a toy!
  13. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I know they are not toys... I said that more in the "He whom dies with the most toys" sense as opposed to playdough type toys.
  14. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

what was the worst conditions you ever took that unimog through? the place in RI seems reasonable for prices, as in truck trader this week, a 1969 mog is going for $29k. Do you have any photos of the truck?

15. nsmilligan

I must have some old photos somewhere, but I don't have a scanner. The worst was when I was using it to skid some logs and buried it in a swamp, couldn't open the doors, had to put the top down and climb out on the box, had a 10 ton pto driven winch on the front, pulled some trees over but got it out. THe worst snow storm was I think 86, about 2 feet and wind, took 6 hours to blow out a private road I plowed, about a mile long. Had to raise the blower in some drifts as high as it would go and drive in till the front end touched, back up and lower the blower and do it again till I got through the drift, about 8 ft high and 50 yards deep, when it was done it was driving through a tunnel. Mine was a 426 model 4 cylinder about 50 HP. Hydraulic differential locks, top speed about 45 MPH. The 406 was a 6 cyl about 95 HP and a top speed of about 55MPH.
    I'd check to see if parts are still obtainable, and prices.