1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a tractor,can this be done?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow cone, Oct 5, 2004.

1. snow cone

snow cone Junior Member
    from Pa

This will be my frist year in the business,money is a little tight,I wonder if this can be done.I have a spreader for salt,this would be only for non commercial customers.I can get a snow blade for my tractor cheap!, and also I don't know how safe hauling a tralier around in snow coverd streets would be.or should I go the shovel by hand route.or snowblower? thank you for any advice! :help:
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

it depends on the size of your tractor. i had an old JD 140, and it was nice in light snow (1-3 inches). beyond that it just couldnt handle it. now i have a 30 hp 6k pound kubota with a front loader and salter. with my 6ft meyers it is great! we had a blizzard 2 winters ago and it handled it fine. best part was that i kept a 4x4 with me and plowed, then stopped pop the blade off and stacked. put the blade back on and went to the next stop.

as for trailers i am not sure....i would use the heavest trailer you can afford and go slow. not sure if the make snow tires for trailers....i need to lok into that for my self.

hope this helps