1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a telehandler

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cherryco, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Cherryco

Cherryco Junior Member

I just got word from a friend of mine( a sewer and water guy) who has a contact in Elgin to plow a nice new factory. He was set up with Cat TLB and box plow. Well yesterday I saw him on a job and he asked me if I want to put my New Holland Lm640 to work. Turns out the tractor lost oil pressure and the operator just keep digging. The machine lost all it oil in the front yard and is being towed out today and being sent to the dealer. He is asking me if I can cover for him if the snow starts to fly before the tractor is fixed. Has anyone ever plowed with a rough terrain forklift? It has no cab enclosure and no heat. What do you guys think.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

how good of a friend is he?, lol, seriously though, plowing with no cab is not the end of the world, especially this time of year, as far as plowing with a telehandler, i have a friend who does it, doesn't mind using it on long straight pushes but hates confined areas with it, but in the end if your friend believes it well work give it a try, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work well
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

How are the transmissions on those units? Are they designed for going back and forth constantly? I guess that would be my biggest concern. Those machines have plenty of horsepower and the lack of a cab has nothing to do with it's ability to plow.
  4. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

my understanding of them is that it should be fine, trannywise etc, as they are also factory designed and equipped with loader buckets manlift baskets etc, they are extremely versitile
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be cold but fine.

They work great, many people use them.
  6. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

oh, if that is urs there, all u need to do is make a plywood door(with acyrlic window of course) and get a 12V DC heater.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How do those things do for stacking?
  8. Mark Oomkes

They suck. :p :p :laughing: :laughing:

How's that for another cryptic answer?
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Mark that was great lmao! Hahahaha
  10. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

How ever high the boom extends out to. LoL
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

See, that was fine. Direct, to the point.

Will it stack any better if I put a vee blade on it?
  12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like it will work fine. My local dealer says the transmissions we not really build to plow, but what's the worst that can happen.
    Cold, wet, and making money. Go for it.
    What will you put on it, a pusher?
  13. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I ran my CAT TH83 last year. The only thing that you need to watch out for is hitting an obstacle while turning. If you hit it hard enough you can knock your lift arm out of alignment :cry: If yours has a tranny temp gauge just keep an eye on it.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Only if it's a chain lift.

If you use a trip edge V blade you will be able to stack AND save the transmission.

Wonder why he would say that. These things are built to carry heavy loads through mud, I've seen them up to their axles in mud, so not sure why some snow would be an issue.
  15. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Couple years ago I was plowing a WM, and the guy next door at the Home Cheapo used a telehandler for plowing, he did a nice job with it and was able to stack well. He didn't have a pusher on it, but used a large light material bucket, looked like at least a 2.5-3 yard bucket.
  16. steve b

steve b Member

we use jcb 520's
  17. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

They work nice for stacking just a little slow. The problem I saw was that a kid went to fast in a lot and hit a curb with a snow bucket. Bent the arm it cost him a few alot of money to fix it.