1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a stick?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve in Pa., Dec 24, 2003.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

is there any disadvantage's to plowing with a standard shift versus automatic's. right now we have nothing but automatics but can get a sweet deal on a f 250 turbo diesel but the only down fall is that its a stick. have heard that you don't want to plow with a stick? :confused: :bluebounc purplebou :redbounce

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Plowed for 9 years with a Ford Bronco that was a standard. Never tore out the clutch. I liked plowing with a standard - but now I walk abit lopsided cause my left leg is a bit larger than my right.....

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Id rather have and auto because of fatigue

4. my 1 ton dump has a stick, and my other two are autos, would perfer the autos ANYDAY!, its nice only having to steer and shift without moving your hand very far, because your other hand is on the plow control, plus you gotta remember that clutch with your left foot, so your initially doing about 5 things at once with a manuel, if you include looking where your going!

5. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

My first 2 plow trucks were standards. I now have an auto.
    I can concentrate better plowing.

6. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I am 40 now and have been plowing since before I was licenced to drive My first automatic truck I ever plowed in was in 1997

I will never go back to a stick again for plowing.Regaurdless of the price savings.

Is this a truck your only going to be behind the wheel or will you have a worker behind the wheel with no concern for wiping out a clutch?

I would definatley say that you need to be more skilled to plow with a clutch.

Alot of added activity in the cab.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2003
  7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

this is my first yr not plowing with a stick
    15yrs same clutch

i think they hold up better in heavy snow
    than automatics
    however if the guy driving the truck with the clutch
    doesnt use it properly then youll be putting in a new clutch
    john

8. redrocket

redrocket Junior Member

Steve I haven't yet gotten plow on my new truck with auto but reverse was the killer for me. When plowing side by side with my pa and him having auto , he would do 70% to my 30 because of long backup runs. I never had a problem with fatigue but i usually don't plow for longer than 9 hrs.

9. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have only had one truck that was a auto (01 F-350 4X4 PSD with 370 RWHP), personally didn't like it every much, I tore 2 trannys out in the 2 years that I had it. My trucks are towing big loads everyday during the summer and plowing in the winter. So for my applications I have found a stick to be much better and defiantly more reliable. I have the same mods on my 99 F-350 that my 01 had on it (so I am making about the same RWHP), in my 99 the stock clutch lasted 75,000 miles now with the Luk clutch and fly wheel the truck has 230,000 miles on it without any failures. On the 01 I put the first tranny in at 20,000 miles and the second "upgraded tranny" in at 50,000 miles. Then I got rid of that truck for my 04. Plus another thing that I like is that on my trucks I mount the joysticks for the plow on the shifter so it is a very handy set-up and extremely user friendly.

:drinkup: MERY CHRISTMAS everyone!!!!:drinkup:

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i like plowing with a auto. after 30hours of non-stop plowing shifting can get really old

11. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

i would vote for an auto over a stick any storm...shifting will get old after numerous hours as some have mentioned....and its just one less hand/foot movment to have to worry about.

12. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

stick vs. auto

Personally, I plow with only automatics cause I'm a wuss and can't take the strain that plowing 14-20 hrs straight with a manual would put on my body. Hell, plowing with an auto gets old after a while!! I do like that stick shifts aren't near as hard on the transmission itself as compared to automatics. But, never the less, I'd still plow with an automatic.

One more thing to add...if you're gonna get such a good deal on this truck, plow with it being stick once, and if you don't like it change the tranny out to an automatic :D

Chris
    Meadowbrook Landscapingpayup

13. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

My last two years plowing was with a stick. And after a 20 hour storm, I'd be paying all my attention to not shifting as much. Used to get stuck alot in my own driveway.

THis year with the auto, I can concentrate a lot more on the plowing, and truck positioning. Have not gotten stuck yet. Also, I switched to a western minute mount, with hand held control. Its like a cadilac compared to the old fisher and stick. Would NEVER go back. And I defended sitck last year this time!

14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes there is more fatigue with a stick. I found that when in a drift or bank and we all seem to get in one now and then, the selection of gears using a stick will get you out where an automatic won't.This is my first auto plowing and the first tranny trouble and it;s back to stick. Bad experience when tourqing an auto and the wheels are spinning don't hit the brakes. Snaps u joints like paper.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Stick shift instructions!!!

I started with a 5 spd truck plowing. An old timer (40 + years)gave me some instruction on plowing with a stick.
    First: dump the clutch when pushing,no slipping
    When stopped on a loaded push: Raise blade 2 inches, backup,then forward dump clutch and drop blade.
    Reach end of push / forward motion push in clutch, end punishment to clutch.
    Use low range when possible to avoid a lot of shifting.
    Buy Automatic Tranny Truck
    Which Ends the right side body aches and pains after 12 hours of plowing.