1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a standard trans

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sday88, Dec 7, 2007.

1. sday88

sday88 Member

I have a '97 Ford Ranger with a 4.0L and a 5 speed transmission. I just plowed for the very first time a couple of days ago. I feel that I may have really burned my clutch pretty bad. The clutch does have quite a few tens of thousands of miles on it so it's pretty old anyway. My question is: Are there any tips as far as plowing with a standard transmission that may avoid premature burning of clutches. I realize that it's as simple as "Don't ride the clutch too much" and stuff like that, but maybe someone has some other, better tips.

Thanks,

Scott

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Use Low range, Dont use the clutch to controle your speed. Push snow, ease up on gas just before the engine stalls step on the clutch.

3. sday88

sday88 Member

Hey, good idea. I really didn't think of that. Thanks.

4. Grizzly290

Grizzly290 Junior Member

sday88 - What theplowmeister said: Use low range when possible. If you have a longer push you may want to use high range for a LITTLE more speed, but when doing smaller, tighter areas, I found using low range worked great. I plowed for 2 winters with a 97' Toyota Tacoma 5 speed, and it held up really well using low range when possible. Also, knowing I only had a little truck, I would go out every 4 - 6 inches, so not to over-work my truck. Since I charged per push, it probably made me more money.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

my blue dodge is a 5-speed, and i love it, my only word of advice is dont ride the clutch.

6. Brandon

Brandon Member

I plow with a '97 Ranger, 3.0L, 5-speed. Like you said don't ride the clutch! I don't use low range too much but I do in certain situations. This has been discussed before....do a search and see what you come up with.

Just curious....what kind of plow do you have?

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive seen a lot of people use the clutch t very the speed when they are stacking the snow. That REALLY is bad for the clutch. That is why I say use low range you can go slow without slipping the clutch.

8. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

Check adjustment

Make sure you have some free play at the top of the clutch travel. The only time I smoked a clutch plowing was when there was no free play as it engaged. Also, don't try to bite off more than you can chew. Another poster said it - with a small rig you have to plow with the storm, as you don't have enough weight to push big piles and drifts.

9. sday88

sday88 Member

Well, I know a lot of people on here don't like them, but, I have a Snowbear.

10. sday88

sday88 Member

Good advice. I don't think I'll have that problem though. I live in Eastern Ohio and we usually don't get that much snow anymore. I couldn't believe the 4" we had the other day, so early in the season. I was just excited to be able to finally use the plow. I've rethought my plowing strategy and think I can do a better job next time without using the clutch as much. Thanks all for the great advice.

11. Brandon

Brandon Member

You probably know this but make sure you put a slave cylinder in that truck while you're doing the clutch. I just did this not too long ago on mine. It's not a fun job...don't want to be tearing it apart again.