1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a soft top, any issues?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by hillbillydeluxe, Nov 7, 2008.

1. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

Will start plowing for the first time. I know hard tops have rear defrosters. I have a soft top. I'm worried I wont be able to see out that rear window, will my rear window be covered with frost the whole time. I'll only have the side view mirrors for backing up in the parking lots. Am I making a lot about nothing?
    :dizzy:

2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I'm sure it can be done. prob going to have to get out and clean the rear window once and a while. I have a hardtop on mine that I switch off in the summer for a soft top.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

My hard top has a rear wiper and defroster. I knew a guy with a soft top who left the rear window roled up so he could see. In short order the rear window will become FOGGED, coverd in snow and scratched the rear window colects sand and as wipe it off it'le scratch.

JMO

4. hillbillydeluxe

I guess I'll have to be a lookin for a used hardtop

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Good idea .

6. mferrari

mferrari Member

Be very careful with the soft top windows in the winter. Once they are frozen, they will shatter like glass. Don't ask how I know...

7. hillbillydeluxe

oh boy..............

8. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I used to do it, but they did fog all the time and it is much colder in the jeep. Definitely go hardtop.

9. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

i use my soft top in the winter and i have no problems....as long as you start your jeep and let it run for a few before going out, itll heat up real nice and youll be fine. The only problem with the soft top is it gets a little dirty on the outside from snow, frost, even salt... so you have to wash it off for full visibility.
    Or, you can just roll it down like they said.....just keep the heat on in the front so you dont get cold....which you wont.....I go fishing and leave my back window rolled down for my rods, and i stay warm.

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I plowed for several years with a CJ5 & soft top. It had an aux heater and still the windshield would ice up sometimes let alone the vinyl windows.

11. hillbillydeluxe

Well thanks everyone, ended up picking one up, now gotta run the wiring.

Oh by the way...first year using the Sno-way series 22...been great.

12. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

i'm jealous

13. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

I plow like a mad man with "Silver" and she has a soft top! 4 me, it all comes down to proper prep and safety. I keep the windows very clean and have lots of lite!

C.

14. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

ill probably just keep my back window rolled down when i plow. Hopefully it works out.
    as far as soft tops go, where would i put an emergency light on the top?? anyone?

15. cj5

cj5 Junior Member

When I plowed with my previous CJ5, I used to just pop the doors off when plowing. Its
    not like the stock heater did anything and the foors off makes it real easy to lean out and
    see what is happening.

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

fog and freezing cold

17. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

The newer soft tops are actually pretty warm... I've had several and its not that bad.....

18. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ccccolddd cant seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!:jester:

19. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

My 65 CJ with the soft top is a cold cold cold ride. Top is sloppy fit and you get snow dust on the inside. If I park it sideways facing the wind in a storm I will get a snow drift inside of it on the seats on that side. The heater is about as effective as a candle in the wind.

But the truck is a plowing animal. 4 cylinder, 70 horsepower, 5.38 to 1 axles, 2.05 to 1 transfer case low ratio, I once pulled a 68 Cadillac up a hill sideways with that Jeep, at idle speed. It is an animal. You can double clutch it and upshift the two stick transfer case on the fly. Belt driven Monarch Hy-Lo pump on it.

My 72 CJ with the soft top is toasty warm, good sized heater, defroster that works well, and windshield wipers that don't quit when you go up hill like the vacuum ones do. Single lever transfer case is a bit more sensitive, and the leaf springs shift around somewhat from time to time. The 304 V8 is less thirsty than the 4 cylinder CJ 5 though. Belt driven Monarch Hy-Lo on it as well.

20. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I use a piece of galvanized 1/2" pipe, and a single strobe with a threaded base. I drilled 4 holes and used 2 u-bolts to clamp it to the rear bumper.