1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a service body?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dieselboy01, Jan 4, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

The box on my '02 Super duty has the nice fender rot going on and I want to replace it this summer. I was thinking of using a rust free box but not for $1900. I found a few steel flatbeds for $1700ish new. A flatbed would be nice to have (I think). In my searching for a bed I found a used aluminum service body in good shape for cheap. I dont really need a service body but the price seems good and it will look better then a rusty box.

I was wondering if its a pain to plow with a service body? Bigger blind spots, things like that. And will a pallet of salt fit in between the cabinets?

2. michdeere

michdeere Member

Yes, a pallet will fit in the bed. Maybe you'll have different luck than we did, but winter weather seems to raise Hell with service bodies. After a season or two the rust (or corrosion if its aluminum) will really start to show, door hinges stiffen up, etc... Maybe a fiberglass body is the answer?

3. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Will the salt eat away at the aluminum fairly quick? If I spray the hinges with oil I'm sure that would help. I'm just looking for a low cost way to make the truck look better. I hate rust holes.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

look for a new box down south...a lot of fabricators down there ....place on 92 outside of tampa had them stacked 4 high....wish I could remember the name

5. onsight

onsight Senior Member

plowing with a service body isn't bad. It is really nice to have a place to keep tools and spare parts with you.