1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a quad cab 3500?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by TPCLandscaping, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

anyone plow with a quad cab 3500 with an 8' dump bed? I picked up a 2011 Ram 3500 with only 1500 miles and i'm trying to figure out how much fun i'll have plowing with this thing. definitely a longer truck than i would like, but the price was very right. i have a 9' fisher MM2 going on it and that plow has wings so should be plenty wide enough.
    Right now i plow with a 99 Chevy 3500 with a dump so i know i'll notice the length of the extra set of doors but most of my accounts are parking lots.. my residential accounts i do with a tractor and blower.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My last truck was a 2004 2500 4 door and the 6.5 bed. I had an 8' Fisher on it. I hated every minute of plowing with it. Regular cabs from now on.

3. TPCLandscaping

Glad I'm hanging into my regular cab. It's going to be primary winter plow vehicle. It's just not reliable enough to tow my mowing trailer all over the county in the summer. New truck will probably only plow during big storms

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

May as well hang a plow on the Queen Mary.

5. TPCLandscaping

Now there's an idea

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

7. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

we have 3 3500 drw with 9.2 boss with wings and 2 yrd spreaders big lots = big trucks but it sucks when you plow your driveway

2013-02-09 14.56.14.jpg

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

9. TPCLandscaping

I do pretty much all parking lots. Residentials are done with a rear mount blower

10. TPCLandscaping

11. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Parking lots youll be fine but you wont be able to see a thing out the back. I have a reg cab dump and i still cant see anything. I used to plow driveways with it, dont know how I ever did it after using my pickup this year.

12. TPCLandscaping

vscape do you have your roof light hard wired in? Im trying to find a way to wire my roof light in but didnt know if there was any wires hiden in the head liner to use.... mine has that nice 4 button aux switch bank on the dash

13. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

I would put a back rack on and eliminate the roof penetration. I dont think there is an auxilary wire in the head liner either.

14. TPCLandscaping

Can't out a back rack on a dump truck lol
    [​IMG]

15. TPCLandscaping

i think i should paint some teeth on the plow lol

16. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

That was really dumb of me.... went and ran my mouth while the teenage daughter was blabbing about boy problems, half listening to her and trying to read didnt mix! :dizzy: Back to reality this morning. Run the wires along the frame of the truck to the end and then back up the dump frame and mount the light on the bulk head of the dump. That way you have 360 degree visibility of the light and you can dump plus you still dont have the roof penetrations. If you do want it on the cab of the truck the wires for the chmsl may be in the headliner and might be accsesable through the plate where the third brake light would be.... no clue where they would be on the dash side though.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  17. TPCLandscaping

Lol that would throw me off too! Thank fully I have no kids lol.
    So what I ended up doing was putting the light on the roof and fishing the wire through the "third brake light" hole, under the head liner then down the front a pillar and our the fire wall. I'll now put some LEDs out on the back some where. I also put a brake controller in the little pocket on the left side of the dash last night

18. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Nice truck! I was looking at a 3500 reg cab dump at a landscape show couple weeks ago and couldnt believe how nice the interiors are now compared to my 07!

The strobe light on my dump is magnetic. Im not going to bother hardwiring it cause i dont really have the need for amber lights in the spring and summer. I use it for leaf vacumming in the fall and plowing. I have a magnetic mini led light bar for my pickup too.