1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a new truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JFizzle, Nov 14, 2006.

1. JFizzle

JFizzle Junior Member

Hello men. I havent been on here since last season. Hope everyone is well.

Question: I am trying desperately to find a new truck before the snow starts flying here in utah. I've always had an old truck for plowing but saw such a sweet 02 GMC 2500HD (ext cab short bed) that I could get for about 12000. Its very pretty.
    In all honesty I dont know much about the wear and tear that plowing does to a truck. I really would like to get into this new one but am hesitant that it will just get ripped up plowing.
    - I dont know how a new truck does with a plow because I've never tried it. My point is: I love this truck but am afraid it would get shreaded if I throw a plow on it.
    I'd just like some input and feedback from you guys who use a truck like this.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's just like that old saying guns don't kill, people do. Your truck won't do anything by its self. If you need to hit a snow bank at 50 mph your going to break something. Take your time but be quick about it, know your parking lots know were the curbs are and potholes, Don't do donuts to turn around. Take care of your truck and it should work out ok.

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well Said.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of plow do you wanna put on it? Like said above, if you take care of things, they will take care of you. My '01 Dodge and current '04 Ford have never let me down....

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hey POP,
    My sure you make a donation to the snow gods for that statement!:D

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Well, plowing will beat up your front suspension, steering components, transmission, transfer case, front differential, engine, and more. It's not like it will destroy your truck, though. Like everyone else said, if you take care of the truck and don't plow like a madman, it will be fine. As long as you keep up with the maintenance (keep your front end greased, change oil, change diff. fluid, change tranny fluid) you'll be just fine.

7. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

And don't drive around with the plow on more than you have to. once your done take it off don't be like some idiots and leave it on all winter or just because they think there cool that they plow.

8. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Sort of depends on what you want the truck for too. Are you getting it to have a nice truck and do a bit of plowing or is it a work truck? Personally, I lease my trucks brand new for 3 years and give them back for new ones. Myself I wouldn't touch an 02 - far too old for what I do. On the other hand if I was not a full time plowing contractor, I personally would think very highly of having an 02 for driving around and doing a bit of plowing on the side. A respectable truck for sure. Plowing is very hard on the trucks - frames, tranny, front end, so on. I don't think you need to be scared about plowing with the 02 - it will work very well. I had an 01 and now an 04 and they have held up well. It is a bit more expensive though if you back in to something or do something stupid. Once a truck is out of warranty however, the only thing that matters is maintenance. Whether it is an 02, 92 or an 82, the reliability of the vehicle will depend on the guy maintaining it. Go for it.